Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ray Leonard says to overcome Mayweather shoulder roll, hit the shoulder..you agree?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pull a Cotto and hit him in the balls repeatedly. That's how you overcome his defense. He be so worried about getting hit in the balls that he would go all defense mode on his balls and forget to put his arms up. Now that's a masterful plan. No need to thank me its what I do

Comment

• Originally posted by -Pull ma Finga- View Post
      Pull a Cotto and hit him in the balls repeatedly. That's how you overcome his defense. He be so worried about getting hit in the balls that he would go all defense mode on his balls and forget to put his arms up. Now that's a masterful plan. No need to thank me its what I do
      That and also do what Cotto did and push his elbow up and shove him against the ropes. There was one round where Floyd tried to be slick with the elbow and Cotto lifted him off the ground and almost body slammed him. Rough house tactics in general I think are the way to deal with him.

Comment

• Originally posted by PBP View Post
        That and also do what Cotto did and push his elbow up and shove him against the ropes. There was one round where Floyd tried to be slick with the elbow and Cotto lifted him off the ground and almost body slammed him. Rough house tactics in general I think are the way to deal with him.
        How did things work out for Cotto? He won no more than 4 rounds.

Comment

Exactly. But you also need a certain kind of fighter to pull that off. Someone with a solid body and a solid punch. Don't let him sit and control the fight, they have to bring the fight to him all night long. Forget some of the rules and make it a nasty fight, push him with the body arms or even elbows. In the inside do what El Perro does and just let your hands go, even if the ref says to stop. The only one's that can kind of box him at this stage is Trout because of his size and Martinez because of his speed and size as well. The rest should just go balls to the walls

Comment

• Originally posted by Malius View Post
            I think he would need to right hook to turn Floyd to the side and make him off balance to stop the counter from coming.
            I still feel body work is the best way to counter it.
            I agree. See, Floyd is a highly reactive fighter, he is going to block first and then attack. If you can force him into rolling the left shoulder by feinting a right, his left oblique and kidney will be exposed for a right hook to the body.

Floyd won't lower the left elbow because he would rather take the body punches than the right to the face.

If you think about it, hitting him in the shoulder would be pretty effective as well because it is always tensed up because of the way he keeps his elbow up to protect his face when rolling a punch. This is important because it means that he can't hit you with the jab and the muscle is just a sitting target. You keep tagging that shoulder, it might not stop his defense but it'll stop his jab after a few rounds.

Comment

• Dumb Tactic is Dumb....Punching at Floyd's shoulders would be like GIVING him free Defense and KILLING your percentages. Also you could run the risk of jamming your wrist on a stiff shoulder.

Also punching at his shoulder would open you up for counters, because Floyd is so smart he'd notice your "Punch the Shoulders" tactic and he'll bait you with a shoulder feint then crack your ass in the mouth.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

• Originally posted by FeFist View Post
                How did things work out for Cotto? He won no more than 4 rounds.
                Worked out very well because he won arguably 4 rounds. When is the last time he lost more than 3?

What's your point? You think I'm implying that Cotto has the secret gameplan to defeat Floyd? Lol...He did some good things in that fight and I'm just mentioning some of those things I observed.

Comment

Worked out very well because he won arguably 4 rounds. When is the last time he lost more than 3?

What's your point? You think I'm implying that Cotto has the secret gameplan to defeat Floyd? Lol...He did some good things in that fight and I'm just mentioning some of those things I observed.
                  My point is that you're overrating the effectiveness of Cotto's roughhouse tactics when they didn't even work. He won no more than 4 rounds and that wasn't even down to him being rough it was down to him having good timing with his jab.

Comment

• Learn from the body snatcher Mike McCallum, "Kill the body and the head dies."

Comment

• I disagree with Leonard's assertion because that strategy has already been proven futile against Mayweather's shoulder roll in his fight with De La Hoya. As I can recall, Oscar landed multiple punches upon Mayweather's shoulders and arms; In order to get him out of that Philly shell defense and yet he was still unsuccessful in landing clean shots against him.

I believe for an orthodox fighter, aiming at the top of the opponent's head, with looping overhand rights, when a fighter is in that particular posture, is a much better strategy to implement. Since the chin is tucked, it leaves the top of the head exposed and in the process, making it the most vulnerable spot on the body to land punches.
                      Last edited by champion4ever; 01-16-2013, 07:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X