Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who was the "Mike Tyson" of the middleweight division back then: McClellan or Benn?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who was the "Mike Tyson" of the middleweight division back then: McClellan or Benn?

Both Gerald McClellan and Nigel Benn were freakin' animals back then, before the 2 would face each other. Although McClellan was called the "Miniature Mike Tyson" from Don King himself Benn was actually closer to Tyson's in terms of fighting style.
    Between the 2, who do you think was THE "Mike Tyson" of the MW division? Who was the more ferocious, intimidating fighter?

Ony one "Iron" Mike.

Comment

There is only one Mike Tyson and he was unique right down to his fighting style and aura of his prime. Neither McCellan nor Benn were Mike Tyson clones they were devastating fighters but had their own styles. At the time they fought McCellan was considered the more fearsome and dangerous fighter. You can see that in the first round of their fight before the brain damage was taking shape in McCellan's head.Both could dish it out but Gerald McCellan more so.

Comment

King said that to get up Benn's back.

Benn's rise in the mid-80s parelled Tyson's freakishly. In England, we saw Tyson come up the ranks on a Saturday afternoon on BBC and on the one other rival channel we had to BBC, ITV, Benn came along not long after Mike; KTFOing guys in a very similar fashion with a similar look!

Comment

I would much rather face Benn than McLellan but, that might just be me.

Comment

As far as power goes either could be but, as far as dominance and accomplishments go, neither. Tyson dominated his division and unified.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
              I would much rather face Benn than McLellan but, that might just be me.
              I wouldn't face either of 'em!

But I do think McClellan could possibly be out-boxed if you moved around the ring and let him fall short and countered.

Even if you out-boxed Benn, you're still getting ****ing hit! And I mean Hit!

Comment

I'd say McClellan was the bigger puncher and more intimidating guy, but that a younger Benn definitely fought in a style that resembled Mike's more- coming forward, bobbing and weaving, while throwing huge hooks and uppercuts with a lot of speed. McCLellan was much more measured and orthodox.

Benn was an animal, very fiery...while McCLellan was an ice cold, dead eyed killer.

Comment

Working...
                X