No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Andre Ward-Arthur Abraham: Pre-Semi “6” Report Card

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Andre Ward-Arthur Abraham: Pre-Semi “6” Report Card

By Cliff Rold - After the first round of the tournament, this was probably the odds-on favorite to be the final. Former IBF 160 lb. beltholder Arthur Abraham looked as advertised with a 12th round, one-punch atomizing of former World Middleweight Champion Jermain Taylor. 2004 U.S. Olympic Light Heavyweight Gold Medalist Andre Ward was masterful in outboxing, and outbrawling, former unified Super Middleweight titlist Mikkel Kessler.

That was back in the Fall of 2009. Remember? Back when the “Super Six” Super Middleweight tournament still had just six fighters?

Yeah.

Then.

Things have changed a wee bit since. Taylor left the field after the first round. Kessler and 2004 U.S. Olympic Middleweight Bronze Medalist Andre Dirrell were out before the third and final preliminary round commenced. Allan Green and Glen Johnson ultimately entered the field officially. Sakio Bika was the unofficial ninth. Now, finally, four remain.

After the first round, Abraham was still undefeated.

Ward was too. [Click Here To Read More]

Typically good writing and analysis from Cliff. Best writer on this or perhaps any other site. Good points made about these guys' styles possibly meshing to benefit AA. Looking forward to this fight.

Comment

Agree for the most part but it irritates me that he is still being billed an A+ puncher. The guy has knocked out 1 Super Middleweight, one whom at that juncture was a ticking KO bomb. Froch was barely troubled and Dirrell didn't seemed particularly phased. If he ever KO's another 'elite' level Super Middleweight I'll eat my proverbial hat.

Comment

i thought abraham was on the verge of knocking Dirrell out - which is why Dirrell faked his injury. So he is an A+ puncher - Carl Froch has an iron chin, i dont think Ward has an iron chin, interesting match up, Ward close UD once he resorts to his usual by any means neccessary

Comment

Originally posted by Chew BackAtacha View Post
          i thought abraham was on the verge of knocking Dirrell out - which is why Dirrell faked his injury. So he is an A+ puncher - Carl Froch has an iron chin, i dont think Ward has an iron chin, interesting match up, Ward close UD once he resorts to his usual by any means neccessary

perhaps you should watch the fight again

and again

and again

and again

dirrel boxed AA's ears off.

ward will do worse.

wont be surprised to see AA stopped.

carl froch will get beat by the 44 year old johnson

froch is the least athletic, skilled and coordinated of the group.

Comment

Originally posted by amayseng View Post
            perhaps you should watch the fight again

and again

and again

and again

dirrel boxed AA's ears off.

ward will do worse.

wont be surprised to see AA stopped.

carl froch will get beat by the 44 year old johnson

froch is the least athletic, skilled and coordinated of the group.
            Direll didn't box AA's ears off simply because AA was able to get to him in the later rounds and was whooping him pretty bad. Rocked him pretty bad, had him dazed and almost outta there before Andre decided to display some beutiful melodrama.

You could say Froch outboxed AA for the entire fight, but, he too, never seemed to be any closer to stopping AA.
            Last edited by dubjab; 05-14-2011, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Abraham gets a B for Speed? hmm

Comment

Originally posted by dubjab View Post
                Direll didn't box AA's ears off simply because AA was able to get to him in the later rounds and was whooping him pretty bad. Rocked him pretty bad, had him dazed and almost outta there before Andre decided to display some beutiful melodrama.

You could say Froch outboxed AA for the entire fight, but, he too, never seemed to be any closer of stopping AA.
                what fight did you watch dude?

Comment

Originally posted by dubjab View Post

You could say Froch outboxed AA for the entire fight, but, he too, never seemed to be any closer to stopping AA.

I guess I was watching a different fight. Direll gave AA a boxing lesson for most of that bout.

Comment

Originally posted by J Dubb II 330 View Post
                    what fight did you watch dude?
                    are you denying that Arthur was getting to Andre at the end of the fight? He legitimately dropped Andre and it was called a slip. Ironically, Andre's knockdown of AA was after a push - so it wasn't legit. What I'm trying to say is, yes, Andre outboxed AA until the 10th round, but the fact that AA turned the tables around and was able to get to Andre shows that it was a part of his gameplan, not that Dirrell is the better boxer.

Comment

Working...
                    X