No announcement yet.

Azumah Nelson

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Azumah Nelson

Give me your thoughts on him. ATG? How great? ATG ranking? Skills?

???
    ???
    ???

The historians here can probably help you with that stuff better than me. But Azumah was a freaking beast.

I have a buddy who lifts weights where I use to box, he's much older and he sparred Azumah. He was also really good himself.

He said every intelligent game plan and technique he would try Azumah could run through with pure force. He said he was the only guy he was scared to get in the ring with. Azumah manhandled everyone and apparently sparred the same way.

Comment

Originally posted by bolo punch View Post
      give me your thoughts on him. Atg? How great? Atg ranking? Skills?

???
      ???
      ???
      love that guy!

Comment

Originally posted by AddiX View Post
        The historians here can probably help you with that stuff better than me. But Azumah was a freaking beast.

I have a buddy who lifts weights where I use to box, he's much older and he sparred Azumah. He was also really good himself.

He said every intelligent game plan and technique he would try Azumah could run through with pure force. He said he was the only guy he was scared to get in the ring with. Azumah manhandled everyone and apparently sparred the same way.
        Azumah was also an excellent, excellent boxer. First class. Hence, the nickname 'Professor.' Watch his performances against Gomez and Fenech II, or even how an older Azumah stalks a young, prime good boxer in Calvin Grove. An ATG without question. He'd hammer every 130lber today. They don't make them like that anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
          Azumah was also an excellent, excellent boxer. First class. Hence, the nickname 'Professor.' Watch his performances against Gomez and Fenech II, or even how an older Azumah stalks a young, prime good boxer in Calvin Grove. An ATG without question. He'd hammer every 130lber today. They don't make them like that anymore.
          I love the fact that he would skip rope or shadow box non stop for 12 rounds BEFORE heading to the ring to fight. He was a great fighter and a classy guy as well.

Comment

Azumah was one bad *ss fighting machine. Fought the so-called great Sal Sanchez who had over 40 fights while Nelson had only 13 fights. And schooled Sal before running out of gas (Azumah had never fought past the 8th) in the 15th and final round. Was leading on one or two of the score cards. Azumah Nelson was a great fighter who is a HOF'er and an OTG!

Comment

One of the best fighters I've ever seen at fighting off the ropes and very good at center ring. He somehow got away with throwing looping shots with regularity, actually he was quite effective with looping shots. The one main weakness with Nelson IMO was that he wasn't very good at cutting off the ring, he'd resort to following guys around too much but apart from that, great fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by CuBaN HaWk View Post
                Give me your thoughts on him. ATG? How great? ATG ranking? Skills?

???
                ???
                ???
                Good to see a thread on Azumah..... First of all,.. the question... Is he an all-time Great ?? is a rather silly question,.. AZUMAH NELSON is not a professor of boxing, ------------------------------ He is the DEAN, and A HEADMASTER of boxing,.... AWESOME Fighter,,, one of the top 10 fighters of the last 25 years of the 20th century.

Comment

He had it all seemingly: speed, power, technique, cleverness...and endless stamina also. Great chin, only been stopped by Sanchez in 15 rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by McGoorty View Post
                    one of the top 10 fighters of the last 25 years of the 20th century.

Its close

JCC
                    Roy
                    Barrera
                    Pacquiao
                    Hopkins
                    McCallum

are clearly ahead IMO

Morales
                    R.Marquez
                    Floyd
                    Lopez
                    Gonzalez
                    Lewis
                    Holyfield
                    Eubank

are in the next group with Azumah. If you rank Azumah in the top 3 of the 2nd group then yeah he is top 10
                    Last edited by SCtrojansbaby; 09-03-2011, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X