No announcement yet.

Canelo is an idiot for dropping off the card

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canelo is an idiot for dropping off the card

Yeah sure, he has his ego and wants to look like a big man ditching Floyd but the reality is this new kid needs exposure in the US because whoever his handlers are they're doing a slow, rubbish job at bringing his name up in the US.

He needs big platforms to fight on to get his name out there and short of fighting on CBS/NBC there is no bigger platform than Mayweather's card. Canelo simply isn't at the stage where he should be walking around acting like a super star. He needs to be getting more exposure first before locking himself down on a small channel like Showtime.

He went from averaging 1.6 million viewers on HBO, to being watched by tens of millions of the May undercards, and when he gets a little big headed he ditches this and goes walking over to a small channel like Showtime where his viewers drop to 1 million - AND THAT'S A RECORD FOR SHOWTIME. This kid is allowing his exposure to drop like a rock when he should be getting bigger.

He's a spoiled brat.

Comment

U.S. Exposure?

Golden Boy knows that his biggest market is the chicano/mexican market. That market knows all about Canelo already.

In fact, Floyd would have had a really nice bump in PPV buys had Canelo stayed on the card.

I don't think Canelo feels like rewarding a guy who isn't willing to sign on and fight him in September.

Comment

I ain't even mad though, realistically he said Floyd fight me or I'm not fighting on the under card, which is a stupid move but I ain't mad, at least we get to see Trout-Canelo a lot sooner, that's what I'm most happy about.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePunchingBag View Post
          U.S. Exposure?

Golden Boy knows that his biggest market is the chicano/mexican market. That market knows all about Canelo already.

In fact, Floyd would have had a really nice bump in PPV buys had Canelo stayed on the card.

I don't think Canelo feels like rewarding a guy who isn't willing to sign on and fight him in September.
          They're not the end all be all for boxing. Canelo has the potential to become a legit big star in the US but he's being promoted horribly.

I wish boxing promoters actually went out of their way to bring the sport to new audiences, rather than sitting around waiting for some new hot face to walk up to them so they can exploit some ethnics.

Nah, sure, we already gots the Mexicans so what the **** do I care about growing boxing?

Comment

Originally posted by croz View Post
            They're not the end all be all for boxing. Canelo has the potential to become a legit big star in the US but he's being promoted horribly.

I wish boxing promoters actually went out of their way to bring the sport to new audiences, rather than sitting around waiting for some new hot face to walk up to them so they can exploit some ethnics.

Nah, sure, we already gots the Mexicans so what the **** do I care about growing boxing?
            dude what are you talking about? he's been promoted amazingly, so much so he's bossing Floyd around without having done anything in boxing yet

Comment

Originally posted by croz View Post

If Canelo wants to become a big star in the U.S. outside of the Mexican market then he needs to learn English. Simple as that.

Has there ever been a boxing crossover superstar who couldn't speak a lick of English?

Roberto Duran? He got his exposure from fighting American superstars though.

Kind of like Canelo would if Floyd would fight him.

Comment

Trout deserves some credit here. Everybody is saying it is because Mayweather wouldn't fight him but Trout represents the biggest risk he ever faced. If he was fighting someone that wasn't a risk he probably would have went ahead with the bout.

Comment

Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
                  dude what are you talking about? he's been promoted amazingly, so much so he's bossing Floyd around without having done anything in boxing yet
                  Being promoted amazingly? He's been around for years now and he can't get more than 2 million people watching him on HBO and isn't fit to headline his own PPV.

Let me put it to you this way, during the last few years we've been told that Canelo will be "the next big thing" you can look over the fence and see the UFC creating stars on an almost monthly basis. They've had Jon Jone sell 700k buys, JDS and Cain sell 600k, Anderson Silva sell 900k, Nick Diaz 500k, Overeem 500k buys, Faber 400k buys, and last but not lease, within the space of a month they UFC built up A WOMAN to headline a PPV and that made 450k buys.

WTF is Canelo fit to headline at this stage? We've been watching him for about three years now and his promoters haven't done dick about raising his stock value. The moment his stock did increase after he beat Mosley he immediately jumps to Showtime where less people watch him than they did on HBO. Canelo has the potential to be a star if he just got his name out there but right now he's stuck in limbo.

Comment

canelo stupid?looks like a good move to me.Hes always wanted to
                    fight in texas,He knows he has mexican support here.Gets a piece
                    of the gate,license fee,own main event,And own attention.

Comment

Working...
                    X