Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where does Pernell Whitaker rank on your ATG list?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About #15 P4P all time for me.

4th best lightweight ever, but on any given night he could beat anyone from 135 to 140... even Duran, Benny, and Gans.

Comment

The most overrated fighter of his generation

Comment

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
        The most overrated fighter of his generation
        This is a Chavez thread?

Comment

Originally posted by Sweet Pea 50 View Post
          I've always wondered what Pea would have been like if he had drop you dead punching power.
          He'd still be #1 P4P

Comment

Originally posted by Sweet Pea 50 View Post
            I've always wondered what Pea would have been like if he had drop you dead punching power.
            Would never have developed his defense to the same point. You saw him in brawls get hit, hurt and dropped. The only reason it didn't happen more often is because he didn't have the power to badly hurt or knock guys out. If he did then that would have been his focus, not his defense.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
              Would never have developed his defense to the same point. You saw him in brawls get hit, hurt and dropped. The only reason it didn't happen more often is because he didn't have the power to badly hurt or knock guys out. If he did then that would have been his focus, not his defense.
              Floyd and Benitez got into them as well, at their prime weights they definitely had the power to give it to someone.

So I would say, not necessarily

Comment

Originally posted by Capaedia View Post
                Floyd and Benitez got into them as well, at their prime weights they definitely had the power to give it to someone.

So I would say, not necessarily
                I agree with that. Also, most of the time Whitaker truly didn't aviod a brawl. Whitaker had the rare ability to get his punches in without getting hit when he was there to get it. He also had the chin to endure it. He pretty much proved that early in his career against Roger Mayweather.

Comment

What if Julian Jackson had Whitaker's defense?

Comment

Top 5 Lightweight All-time.

Top 10 p4p last 50 years.

Comment

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
                      What if Julian Jackson had Whitaker's defense?
                      then you would have a fighter who could not only rarely get tagged in his prime but could end a fight at any time.

Comment

Working...
                      X