Collapse
No announcement yet.

Corrie Sanders v Wlad Klitschko - watch and discuss

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wald has a weak chin he would get knocked out all the time if there was any decent heavy weights around. Even peter wasn't that good.

Comment

This fight brings back so many memories for me when seeing it live. I jumped out my chair for Corrie…

Comment

he deserves more credit for that fight.

Comment

Wow, I was just rewatching this fight and now I read the news of the killing. I'll always remember this fight. Props to Sanders who was a champ, both in the ring and, judging by his actions, in life.

Comment

Originally posted by Derranged View Post
            Its a shame Sanders gets absolutely no credit for this fight, everyone just dumps on Wladimir for it. First of all, being the better younger fighter does not guarantee you a win. While Wlad doesn't have a good chin, I don't think its as bad as everyone says. Also, Sanders hit awfully hard and had good hand speed. Only thing is, he was only really dangerous for the first two or three rounds because of his poor conditioning.

The fight was more or less a knockout for grabs. Once Wlad felt his power and saw that Sanders was going for a fast KO, he did the same, and got caught.

Watch at 2:33 but also the replay at 3:31: He threw an overhand right that missed, and his whole body got thrown into Sander's left hand that he never saw. So, two things: a huge punch that he never saw and that he threw his whole body into. That would have knocked out a lot of fighters. If Wlad had just calmed down and boxed/held on, he would have won. Or, if he landed that overhand right and Sanders missed with the left, Sanders would be the one sleeping.

it's a win that looks better and better every day, considering the heights wladimir was eventually able to reach.

Comment

Originally posted by jreckoning View Post
              Corrie just took it to him. Most heavyweights didn't have the balls to step to Wlad.
              Corrie walked right through him.
              Right. Corrie wasn't intimidated by Wlad. Very few heavy contenders fight with such confidence.

Comment

people forget that both those klit fights were sanders passed prime and in pretty shoddy shape - A younger, motivated sanders that applied himself could well have beaten vitali as well as wlad. A nearly 40 yearold yearold sanders pushed vitali pretty hard after all, shook him up early on and took his best punches too, it was age and lack of conditioning that lost him the fight to vitali not being outclassed - not by a long shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Alx. View Post
                  I agree. He could have beaten many top HW contenders at that time. Many of them such as Lennox Lewis avoided him.

Originally posted by damuttz112 View Post
                  Beautiful fight from Sanders, 38 Years young here.
                  Sanders had actually just turned 37 and was in top shape for the fight with Wlad.

But yes, it was an excellent performance by Corrie.

Comment

It's not that Corrie was the only guy willing to step up to Wlad and if this were 30 years ago, blah, blah, blah. It's that Corrie was pretty much the only guy ever who was capable of doing what he'd do in the ring. There aren't any heavyweight southpaws with first rate power and speed who can ambush fighters. And there never really have been. That's what Sanders did and nobody else did. He would be a problem for any version of Wlad and maybe beat any version.

Comment

Originally posted by Alx. View Post
                      Believe me, I give him plenty of credit for it. I had huge doubts that Wlad was going to handle him easily and when he caught him I was jumping up and down like a junkie on meth.

Comment

Working...
                      X