No announcement yet.

Revisiting Rios vs Abril

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revisiting Rios vs Abril

Don't like beating a dead horse, but I see that people keep bringing up this fight and implying its a guarantee that Rios would get ripped apart by anyone with skill.

Just to get it out of the way, yes, Abril was robbed badly. No way Rios won that fight. The decision stunk and those judges should have been disciplined.

Back to the fight. Its so obvious that Rios was horribly weight drained. Excuse or not, he was. He was lethargic, slow as hell, his punches had nothing on them and he looked like he was going to collapse out there. He was not himself. I don't understand how anyone can deny that.

Second, I fail to see how Abril "schooled" him. At first he was outboxing Rios a bit, but in the latter rounds he was just standing there letting Rios whack on his arms. Hardly a schooling, more like just winning.

So explain to me how that fight proves anything other than he shouldn't have been fighting at that weight.

It wasn't the "schooling" people make it out to be

Comment

Anyone else?

Comment

It wasn't the "schooling" people make it out to be

Comment

If shutting a guy out winning every round isn't a schooling I don't know what is.

Comment

Mike Alvarado had some success for a few rounds against Rios with his mediocre jabbing and lateral movement. Leads me to believe he's not that hard to out box.

Comment

Originally posted by BOLLOCKS View Post
              Mike Alvarado had some success for a few rounds against Rios with his mediocre jabbing and lateral movement. Leads me to believe he's not that hard to out box.
              That's different. I agree he can be outboxed but I just don't think the Abril fight proved this or at least its greatly exaggerated.

Comment

I think personally people just need to accept reality & that is Rios is simply not a good boxer.
                Hes a slow, face first brawler whose power and chin are vastly overrated.
                Sorry but a win over Mike Alvarado, an unproven 140lb brawler who was getting schooled by Prescott until he gassed doesn't prove much to me.

He is a notch at best above John Murray. Acosta was outboxing him, John Murray gave it a damn good go despite coming off a horrendous beating & K.O loss to Mitchell. Abril shut Rios out on short notice.

He just isn't very good. In fact to be totally honest as far as I am concerned he is the biggest overachiever in boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by Derranged View Post
                  Anyone else?

Comment

For me it was schooling, Maybe it's because I was shocked or whatever but as much as I like Bam Bam style of fighting I thought he was taken to school (Drained or not)...Sorry

Comment

Working...
                    X