No announcement yet.

another one about nutrition

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another one about nutrition

Well I dunno what's going on with my body, man. Last time I posted I was having problems with gaining weight. I think it halted. I started to eat way less and ran 3 miles twice a week as well as doing a total of 100 pushups on my boxing days, 3 times a week... I think I've lost a couple of pounds cause clothes fit a bit better. However, I'm not sure if I'm depriving myself of the right amount of food (for instance, I think I'm not getting enough complex carbs). I think I'm gonna try to talk to a nutritionist or something. I'm not really that interested in what I look like in itself, you know? I just don't want to be obese ever again like I was 2-3 years ago at 250 lbs though, cause that only brought serious health problems. Back then, I just couldn't do anything physical right. Anyway, I used to lift weights, and although it just seems like I used to be able to eat whatever I wanted and not put on any real weight when I did (I'm serious, man. After a full day with all the meals I needed, sometimes I'd just go with some friends at 2 am and I'd eat a cheeseburger or a gyro, man at this cafe-type restaurant).

So, as I recall from my weight-lifting days, there was no real way to get stronger and lose fat at the same time. You could either bulk, or cut. Either takes a different diet, right. All basic, all ok. But with boxing, is it possible to do both at the same time (I don't mean bulk, cause I actually wouldn't want to gain a lot of muscle size but get stronger and lose fat)? I mean, I think because of the nature of the sport itself, it should be. But I dunno. I'm not sure how I should be eating and training anymore? Is HIIT better than 3 mile runs for conditioning and fat loss? Should I start lifting weights again? If so, when so that it doesn't get in the way of boxing training (I don't want each other's recovery time to get in the way of one another)?

The most effective combination I've found for getting into boxing shape -- losing weight and keeping strength -- is:

- Compound lifts ONLY. Squat & deadlift, and power cleans if you know how. Dump the bench press and the bicep curl. Lift on non-boxing days and never lift if you're tired. Sleep, instead.
    - Sprints interspersed with your morning runs
    - Boxing 3-4 days per week. Spar heavy once a month, tops. Otherwise, spar light. Injuries will hold you back.
    - Large amounts of sleep. Naps. You are injuring your body. You heal when you sleep. Take a day off if you're dragging.
    - Raw foods. Nothing from a box, nothing from a can. Water, tea, black coffee, raw or steamed veggies, raw fruit, lean meat (cooked, of course; grilled, ideally.) Eat as much of this as you can.

I lost nearly 40 lbs. in six months doing this.

Comment

you may also want to try eating 5-6 small meals a day as opposed to 3

Comment

yeah I don't just eat 3 meals a day. I eat like 5 or 6. I dunno man, I'm thinking maybe I should trade a bit of protein for an extra bit of carbs. Not sure.

I think I'll follow fraidycat's advice and start lifting but try to do it only when I feel good for it.

Comment

Working...
        X