No announcement yet.

I'm such a dumb ass in math

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm such a dumb ass in math

It's frustrating. I ordered some math books last night so I can study them in my spare time.

Like i'm seriously a complete air head in math. I'm going to college and my major has nothing to do with math, but I don't want to stay being stupid in math. I also signed up for a summer math program in my college.

Everyone I talk to about math say they hate it too, but at least they know what to do. I am clueless most of the time. It doesn't help that i'm the school version of Winky Wright, going on a 3-4 year retirement twice. 15-19, 20-23. So I can't expect to just come back against the Paul Williams' and Quillin's of the world and win.

I really suck but at least I do want to be good and become better.

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
    It's frustrating. I ordered some math books last night so I can study them in my spare time.

Like i'm seriously a complete air head in math. I'm going to college and my major has nothing to do with math, but I don't want to stay being stupid in math. I also signed up for a summer math program in my college.

Everyone I talk to about math say they hate it too, but at least they know what to do. I am clueless most of the time. It doesn't help that i'm the school version of Winky Wright, going on a 3-4 year retirement twice. 15-19, 20-23. So I can't expect to just come back against the Paul Williams' and Quillin's of the world and win.

I really suck but at least I do want to be good and become better.
    Well done for trying to improve man. Life long learning and all that. I've always been dreadful at any maths over basic addition, multiplication, subtraction (which I'm actually quite good at), but algebra and all that **** ... game over

But in fairness to myself, I never applied myself to learn it properly. I didn't pay attention in school when it came to math. Didn't understand the teacher, didn't get the concepts he was throwing around. I basically taught myself the entire course over a weekend before my exam just to get a bare pass in math and break into a computer science degree. BUT ... I ended up ditching that, because I couldn't hack the advanced math behind it. So you could see it's been something of a bane for me.

My subsequent study and career have been far removed from math and I'm happy as hell about that, but there is a bug in me every now and then that would love to get to grips with it. I think I could if I applied myself to my fullest.

Comment

Mathematics is usually only hard because people over-complicate it.

Good luck in your endeavours.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
        Mathematics is usually only hard because people over-complicate it.

Good luck in your endeavours.
        This makes sense to me. Definitely something I can tend to do.

Comment

Math really is overrated. Unless you plan on specializing in an area that requires a lot of math and number crunching. Even then, you don't have to be an expert.

My dad didn't even make it past Algebra 1 and he's been an accountant for businesses for over 30 years making a very, very healthy salary.

Comment

i'm horrible at it as well....

Comment

I struggled in math during college also.. math is a subject that if u dont pick up on the basics early its difficult later

Comment

Originally posted by starjammer View Post
                This makes sense to me. Definitely something I can tend to do.
                I had a tendency to do this in a lot of subjects. I would ask the question "why" instead of "what". I wouldn't take things at face value and accept them for what they were, it had to make sense for a reason.

However the downside to this was, the reason was beyond my scope of intelligence at said point in time. So, there is times when you just have to learn a procedure and follow it. You don't have to know what is going on in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack3d View Post
                  Math really is overrated. Unless you plan on specializing in an area that requires a lot of math and number crunching. Even then, you don't have to be an expert.

My dad didn't even make it past Algebra 1 and he's been an accountant for businesses for over 30 years making a very, very healthy salary.
                  Accountants don't need to know any math beyond that what is taught in Algebra 1. I always enjoyed math and took fairly advanced courses in high school (Calculus 3 and Differential Equations), but I haven't taken anything beyond that since I've been at the university level.

Like many posters have already mentioned, most career paths that do not require a decent number of maths courses at the university level will not be relying on anything higher than algebra in the office. However, the engineers and computer scientists will need to know a good deal of math because they might be applying it during their daily routines. With that being said, I haven't yet met an engineer that has not been decent at maths.

Good luck in your educational endeavor, -Kev-.

Comment

I bought a couple of books last night.

This one: http://www.amazon.com/The-Humongous-.../dp/1592577229

And this one: http://www.amazon.com/Humongous-Book...ref=pd_sim_b_5

Comment

Working...
                    X