No announcement yet.

Why is Steward losing fighters?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is Steward losing fighters?

Most notably, one training camp apiece for Miguel Cotto and Chad Dawson. Does Emmanuel Steward have too much on his plate lately, or is his training style not as relevant with today's fighters? Is it a personality issue?

Just curious if anyone knows anything beyond the headlines on this one.

Funny that you should ask that question, I was talking to Emmanuel just the other day and I asked him the very same thing. His response?

"I knew this was gonna happen."

Comment

Manny has announced that he's going to retire as a trainer in about 48 months.

Comment

add gamboa to that list too.

seems like fighters team up with him and leave him pretty quick. something aint right for a guy to leave a hall of fame trainer. I'm guessing the old guy isn't around much besides for klitschko.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
          Funny that you should ask that question, I was talking to Emmanuel just the other day and I asked him the very same thing. His response?

"I knew this was gonna happen."

Grade A stuff.

Comment

I think Manny Steward is one of the most overrated trainers possibly in the history of the sport.

I'm not remotely surprised people don't stay with him long.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
              I think Manny Steward is one of the most overrated trainers possibly in the history of the sport.

I'm not remotely surprised people don't stay with him long.
              what is your reasoning

Comment

I think him being an old guy seems to have something to do with it. He seems to look slow at times, like he's lost and the fighters noticed thats why they went elsewhere for training. I have great respect for him but other then the klitchkos he hasn't really worked with anyone full time. Maybe andy lee???

Comment

Originally posted by krimzon View Post
                  what is your reasoning
                  I've just never considered his advice to be good between rounds or his fighters to improve during his stay with him.

Even the ones he's sucessful with he doesn't give the best advice.

But it's JMO.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                    I've just never considered his advice to be good between rounds or his fighters to improve during his stay with him.

Even the ones he's sucessful with he doesn't give the best advice.

But it's JMO.
                    but you gotta think that fighters leaving is more likely due to his training of them as opposed to what he says in between rounds during a fight. It's not like Gamboa and Cotto were getting destroyed just before switching trainers.

Comment

Working...
                    X