Floyd Mayweather has never beaten an elite fighter in his prime

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Freedom! View Post
    No, the Klitschkos are good.

Unlike Floyd, the Klitschkos never ducked anybody. They fought every single heavyweight who was willing to step in the ring with them.

Floyd ducked Mosley, Forrest and Tszyu years ago, and has ducked Cotto and Pacquiao in recent years.
    Great, does that make you feel better now?

Comment

klits without a doubt........has more heart than floyd....................

Comment

Floyd Mayweather Jr won a split decision over a faded Oscar De La Hoya. He beat a much smaller, old Juan Manuel Marquez and an old Genaro Hernandez, and an age 38 Shane Mosley.

His other opponents such as Baldomir and Hatton were good but not really elite fighters.

Why didn't Floyd face Oscar or Shane when they were in their PRIME? Why didn't he fight Tszyu, Casamayor and Forrest some years ago?

Floyd has never defeated an elite fighter in his prime.
        You dont even need to have to look closely at his record to see that he hasnt taken any risks fights wise.
        On the surface of it, hatton, DLH, JMM and SSM are decent names, but if you look underneath the surface, people arent fooled by his record.
        Hatton at 147, JMM never fought at 140 let alone 147. And people accuse Pac of cherry picking?

In the amatuers you couldnt duck thats why he lost, and if he fought in the pros like he did the amatuers he would have lost also.

Comment

Floyd lost in the amateurs because he fought the best.

Would he have lost in the pros if he fought elite fighters in their prime?

This guy is David Rodreguiz 34-0 yet he's ranked only #144 at heavyweight by the BoxRec computer:

http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?hum...7041&cat=boxer

It's because he's avoided the people who can beat him.
          I can't wait for this bastard to lose... awful resume and is only known and remembered so people can bring him in up in arguments like these.

He reminds me of that *******, something Salim or something like that, who had a 30+ win undefeated streak going until he got dominated by a guy who was like 4-2.

George Chuvalo was just a human punching bag who Ali was too feather-fisted to stop.

Either Klitschko would definitely have stopped him though.
          To be fair, only Foreman and Frazier stopped him (two of the biggest punchers in heavyweight history) and they couldn't get him off his feet.

That said, I do think Wladimir stops him. His flawless game plan and technique would have Chuvalo so frustrated that he would likely get the towel thrown in on him. I don't see a TKO in the way a referee stops the fight to stop a flurry of punches landing clean... Wladimir doesn't go for it like that, and rightfully so, he's protecting his chin, which is his most likely way to lose. Foreman and Frazier were the type that would pour punches on when they had a guy in trouble or trapped.

Vitali... I'm not so sure he gets the stopped. He's a bit more aggressive than Wladimir, but not the type of fighter who really puts his punches together in a way that gets the referee to call a TKO when a fighter is draped on the ropes. It's usually a somewhat cautious 1-2, with maybe a 3 added in from time to time. Plus, Vitali is awkward, but does manage to get hit more than Wladimir in most fights, and I think that alone keeps the corner and referee from stopping the fight, knowing that Chuvalo always has a puncher's chance (albeit a slim one considering how good Vitali's chin is).

Side note... I found this in a description on youtube... if it's true, I'm floored at how tough Chuvalo is: In a brutal display of power, Joe Frazier fractures George Chuvalo's orbit (the bone under George's eye is damaged) so badly that Chuvalo needs reconstructive surgery to correct the injury as his eye partially drops into the fault line fracture. A career ending injury for mere mortals, Chuvalo continues his amazing career post surgery to cement his legend.

Comment

Floyd Mayweather Jr won a split decision over a faded Oscar De La Hoya. He beat a much smaller, old Juan Manuel Marquez and an old Genaro Hernandez, and an age 38 Shane Mosley.

His other opponents such as Baldomir and Hatton were good but not really elite fighters.

Why didn't Floyd face Oscar or Shane when they were in their PRIME? Why didn't he fight Tszyu, Casamayor and Forrest some years ago?

Floyd has never defeated an elite fighter in his prime.
            Because when those fighters were in their "prime" floyd was fighting at 130 to 135

Comment

Originally posted by STRUGG View Post
              klits without a doubt........has more heart than floyd....................
              Fail..

Floyd never quit in the ring or been KO'd by journeymen like those Klit biitches.

Comment

Some may say your a hater but you are absolutely right. When Arum offered him 8 million to face Margarito I thought he should have taken that then fought Oscar but at that time I was under the impression he was really looking to go somewhere with his legacy.

Comment

Originally posted by zte89147 View Post
                  Because when those fighters were in their "prime" floyd was fighting at 130 to 135
                  Exactly when they were in their prime he was 3 weighclasses behind then people fail to remember Shane and Oscar are 5 yrs older than him. And where are the careers of people who beat Floyd in the amuteurs so what does that tell you. I will say this is Mayorga can beat Vernon Forest so can Floyd.

Comment

Wow... These threads still get made....

"Floyd never beat anyone special"
                    "Manny always fights people out of their primes"

Man I can't wait for them to go away

Comment

Originally posted by Dominicano Soy! View Post
                      Yeah man, Casamayor-JLC was very hard to score, need to rewatch Castillo vs. Johnston II, I know I had Castillo clearly winning the first fight. No doubt that Castillo's run at LW was impressive.
                      I've never seen either Johnston fight, so I just have to go with the scorecards, and what people have told me about the decisions, which has largely been that both fights were very close, and the judges scorecards were certainly very defensible, so it sounds like they were legit.

Hell the only time I've seen Stevie Johnston fight ever was against Edner Cherry, and to be clear, I am quite aware that the shell of Stevie Johnston that I saw that night is in no way indicative of the type of fighter he was when Castillo fought him.

I found it very odd how little love Castillo's lightweight run gets... I would be hard pressed to find many champions since 1990 that had that kind of run in their weight division (meaning they didn't move up... it's easier to get tough opponents if you have a bunch of divisions to choose from). The only champions who I can see getting the nod over that run are those who have close to twenty or more title defenses without a loss and are given deserved credit for the longevity of never having an off night, and taking advantage of the rare opportunity to fight a great fighter (a la Hopkins-Trinidad).

Comment

Working...
                      X