No announcement yet.

Ricky Burns - Steve Collins Comparison

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ricky Burns - Steve Collins Comparison

I remember following Steve Collins when he was training with the Petronelli brothers out of Brockton (Haglers old trainers).

Even though he had a better percentage of stoppages than Burns he was essentially a boxer. He then lost to Mike McCallum (no shame there) then next title bout a closer one to Reggie Johnson (again, no shame) & Sambu Kalambay.

I watched him live in the undercard of Nigel Benn v Lou Gent & he was pretty dull.

Then he fought Chris Pyatt (I liked him) & suddenly switched to a marauding brawler, eating his way through Pyatt, Chris Eubank (twice & Eubank hadn't lost in 43 bouts), Nigel Benn twice and a few other decent fighters.

Burns shocked me tonight. I thought he would win but not like that. Maybe now he'll start to press forward more. He has a decent chin & is a very strong lad.

On the other hand, he did struggle mightily at the weight & may move up to light welter. In this case he may stick with his excellent boxing skills. Who is the current champion there?

He's so strong at that weight. If he can find a way to make it any which way he is a problem even for a Broner or a DeMarco.

I actually thought Kev was going to bang him out but he was actually comprehensively outclassed.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparked_26 View Post
      He's so strong at that weight. If he can find a way to make it any which way he is a problem even for a Broner or a DeMarco.

I actually thought Kev was going to bang him out but he was actually comprehensively outclassed.
      I thought the size difference would be too much & it was - but not in the way I expected.

Comment

I was surprised I thought It was a 50/50 fight and was leaning towards Mitchell maybe even by ko but I was shocked how small Mitchell looked up against burns . I think burns should fight broner I'm not sure he'd win but I think he'd make a fight off it then move up

Comment

Working...
        X