Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does a fighter lose punching power with age?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by megadude View Post
    rofl?? pwn?? i have no idea what your typin
    and no, i dont think i've ever said that...
    You know what I'm saying bro. People around here are always saying stupid **** because Calzaghe got knocked down by Hopkins and Jones. A typical argument would be "Cal***gy is a joke. He is a fraud. He got knocked on his ass by two old men LOL. ___________ (<--- insert appropriate emoticon here)"

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Comment

Originally posted by 46-0 View Post
      Joe Calzaghe
      Marco Antonio Barrera
      Roy Jones Jr.

Those are 3 of the more notable examples. I have often heard the saying that the last thing to leave a fighter is his punch, but is that actually true? There is 3 fighters who scored alot of knockouts throughout their careers but then after reaching early 30's the stoppages seemed to... stop coming. This is not an isolated thing, it happens to many fighters.

Any thoughts?
      Roy Jones power was more about his amazing handspeed which he doesn't quite have anymore. He can still punch but not like he used to.

Calzaghe lost some of his punching power because of his brittle hands although he was never a big power puncher anyway. He mostly overwhelmed early opposition with his speed and punch output.

Barrera lost his power because he has gone up from super bantamweight (where he was a big puncher) to lightweight/light welterweight (not a noted puncher).

The truly heavy handed punchers such as Shavers, Foreman, Moore, Louis, Langford, Robinson, etc. keep their power even during their late 30's and 40's.
      They might not have been as good as they were but they could surely still punch.

Comment

Originally posted by strugler View Post
        George Foreman was still pretty strong?
        nah, weak as a kitten :P

Comment

I think Antonio Tarver is another to have lost his pop.

He hit Clinton Woods flush on the chin countless times and didn't ever really have him trouble.

Comment

If he wants, Wilder will be knocking fools out for 10 more years.

Comment

Working...
            X