Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can People STOP Calling Mayweather a PURE BOXER?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mayweather is considered a pure boxer because he also has an incredible grasp of the fundamentals. He is probably the best in the sport at measuring distance, which is why he can remain just out of range for any effective response from an opponent.

He's one of the few fighers in the sport who can comfortably fight with you in the pocket and sustain little damage.

He knows how to use the jab to the body to open up opportunity for the lead right upstairs.

He understands and demonstrates the use of feints.

A pure boxer will continue to win good fights after their prime due to their technical skills.

I like Pernell and Ali, but their success also had a lot to do with their athletic ability, especially in Pernell's case.

Comment

Originally posted by FrankJack View Post
      I like Pernell and Ali, but their success also had a lot to do with their athletic ability, especially in Pernell's case.
      Care to elaborate???

Comment

Well, it always appeared to me that early on Pernell had amazing upper body movement where he could dodge just about anything you were throwing at him. But, as he got older and those natural gifts began to fade, his defensive ability seemed to also fade a bit more, he seemed to want to fight it out more than he would of had to and got hit more often. In short, he became much more hittable.

Ivan Calderon fits that bill, also looking at his past few bouts. He's very athletic, but it's starting to fade and the purity or solidity of his technical skills become more apparent.

And although he was never considered a pure boxer, Roy Jones fits into the category of amazing athletic ability that, once faded, showed a lack of fundamental solidity. He's perhaps the best example that we've seen thus far.

This is what I'm getting at when I mention Pernell Whitaker. I don't know if that cleared it up or not. I could be wrong, though. Or it could have been the drugs he took, also.

Comment

^^^^ His defense and chin got him through 12 with a young Tito when Sweet Pea was clearly past it..... Also from watching him fight he changed up his style after the 1st JLR robbery......

Thanks for sharing though

Comment

Originally posted by SoldierWarrior View Post
            IDK, why hasn't this fight happened yet? It's on my mind too much. Because one fighter out of the blue requests OST when he has been in this sport for 15 years and magically requests it knowing that one fighters doesn't like blood taken from him so early to the fight.
            troll........

Comment

Originally posted by ILLuminato View Post
              Some of you people on here are such noobs to boxing. That's the only way to explain this phenomenon.

Howard Davis Jr., Muhammad Ali, SRR to an extent, Pernell Whitaker, SRL sometimes, and Willie Pep are PURE boxers. Which means they'll dance around their opponent, with the jab popping all night. These fighters are not really reflexive fighters, although sometimes they are off the jab.

Mayweather is more of a counterpuncher, he's very unorthodox in that he leads with his right hand a lot, leaps in with the left hook, but sometimes he switches his style completely.

Even Max Kellerman partakes in this stupid phenomenon, grab a boxing book and watch some boxing. Kellerman doesn't know anything about boixng.
              Mayweather LOL, 42 have tried, and half of them were handpicked!, LOLLOL
              ATG ?LOL
              Last edited by CasualBoxingFan; 02-28-2012, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Lmao dude said Ali was a great boxer.....never threw a body shot, never blocked punches unless on the ropes, wasnt a great counterpuncher......How can he be a great boxer....he was a great fighter but not a great boxer

Comment

Working...
                X