Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which states allows ring DOCTOR stoppages?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which states allows ring DOCTOR stoppages?

During the Mares-Moreno fight Showtime's analysts pointed out that in California the RING DOCTOR is allowed to call a halt to a bout, opposed to just a corner or a ref. In fact one of the fights that night was stopped by a ring doctor.

Which other states allow a stoppage by the ring doctor?

I believe the doctor has the power to stop a fight at any boxing match anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Own3d View Post
      I believe the doctor has the power to stop a fight at any boxing match anywhere.
      I think they are only allowed to "suggest" the ref to stop the fight but don't have the power to do so.

Because I remember during the broadcast they made a big deal about California being one of the few places that allow the ring doctor to actually be the one to stop the fight.

And it actually happened later in one of the fights, can't remember which.

Kinda like how if your corner throws in the towel I believe in some states the ref can allow the fighter to continue.

Comment

Originally posted by YDKSAB View Post
        I think they are only allowed to "suggest" the ref to stop the fight but don't have the power to do so.

Because I remember during the broadcast they made a big deal about California being one of the few places that allow the ring doctor to actually be the one to stop the fight.

And it actually happened later in one of the fights, can't remember which.

Kinda like how if your corner throws in the towel I believe in some states the ref can allow the fighter to continue.
        I've never seen a fight where the ref doesn't stop the fight if the ring doctor tells him to. It might be the case that only the ref can stop it, but i don't think many refs wouldn't stop it if the doctor suggested it.

Comment

I believe in most states the doctor can't "only the referee can stop but can on the advice of the doctor at ringside".

Which applys to all title bouts in the US.
          Last edited by TBear; 11-22-2012, 07:07 AM.

Comment

I also remembered that apparently the ring doctor stopped the Cotto-Tony II fight, but this took place in New York. And Margarito wasn't even hurt at all.

Comment

Working...
            X