No announcement yet.

Not stopping Marquez in the first Pac fight was a GREAT call from Cortez

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
    Say what you want about Cortez but he did a great job by giving Marquez one last chance to get up when he looked like he was done after the 3rd knockdown. A lot of referees would have stopped the fight and nobody would have complained about it. Give credit where credit is due, it was a great call.

Pac should of had a 1 point deduction at the very least for hitting Marquez while he was down. He was lucky not to get a DQ, and if Marquez wasn't such a G he probably would have.

Comment

Say what you want about Cortez but he did a great job by giving Marquez one last chance to get up when he looked like he was done after the 3rd knockdown. A lot of referees would have stopped the fight and nobody would have complained about it. Give credit where credit is due, it was a great call.

No one is complaining about this. What are your point?

Comment

Great FIGHT!!

Good call by cortez

Comment

Yup, huge credit has to go to Cortez for that.

Just goes to show how close the sport of Boxing always is to a huge change in events.

I mean if Cortez calls the fight off whilst Marquez is on the floor for the 3rd time with both hands over his face who the hell would have complained? That would have been seen as a legit stoppage (not im my own personal opinion but compared to how so many other fights have been stopped for less than that) and forever in the history books it would have been Pacquiao DESTROYED Marquez. Pacquiao KO'd him in the 1st round. Pacquiao is Marquez's daddy. Pacquiao automatically would have been 10 times the fighter Marquez was according to we fickle Boxing fans.

Yet Cortez allows him to continue and here we are today looking forward to a FOURTH fight between the two, when we were a split second away from a Pacquiao KO1 over Marquez, which i highly doubt would have ever meant a 2nd fight between the two never mind 4.

3 fights between the pair which show us just how complicated Boxing really is. I mean if Cortez calls the fight off at that point and Pacquiao gets a KO1 which includes 3 knockdowns, who the **** would have even dreamt of saying that Marquez was a fighter who was more than capable of mixing it up with Pacquiao, nevermind saying that he could beat him. Yet even today so many Boxing fans still look at Boxing as if it's simply written in black and white, if so and so beats someone by an early KO, he's obviously better than him, forgetting the fact that Boxing can change in a split second, one punch can change a fight, one decision by a ref can change the course of Boxing history, one small action that re writes so much of Boxing as we know it.

Looking at it, how many other fights which ended in a quick knockout could have gone onto become great fights if they were given that little bit longer by the ref.... probably quite a few. Everything in Boxing can change in that split second, i guess thats why it's such a great sport.

Comment

Cortez should have deducted a point from manny for hitting marquez while he was down (other fighters have been dq'd for that). Other than that he did a great job.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Jones Jnr View Post
              Yup, huge credit has to go to Cortez for that.

Just goes to show how close the sport of Boxing always is to a huge change in events.

I mean if Cortez calls the fight off whilst Marquez is on the floor for the 3rd time with both hands over his face who the hell would have complained? That would have been seen as a legit stoppage (not im my own personal opinion but compared to how so many other fights have been stopped for less than that) and forever in the history books it would have been Pacquiao DESTROYED Marquez. Pacquiao KO'd him in the 1st round. Pacquiao is Marquez's daddy. Pacquiao automatically would have been 10 times the fighter Marquez was according to we fickle Boxing fans.

Yet Cortez allows him to continue and here we are today looking forward to a FOURTH fight between the two, when we were a split second away from a Pacquiao KO1 over Marquez, which i highly doubt would have ever meant a 2nd fight between the two never mind 4.

3 fights between the pair which show us just how complicated Boxing really is. I mean if Cortez calls the fight off at that point and Pacquiao gets a KO1 which includes 3 knockdowns, who the **** would have even dreamt of saying that Marquez was a fighter who was more than capable of mixing it up with Pacquiao, nevermind saying that he could beat him. Yet even today so many Boxing fans still look at Boxing as if it's simply written in black and white, if so and so beats someone by an early KO, he's obviously better than him, forgetting the fact that Boxing can change in a split second, one punch can change a fight, one decision by a ref can change the course of Boxing history, one small action that re writes so much of Boxing as we know it.

Looking at it, how many other fights which ended in a quick knockout could have gone onto become great fights if they were given that little bit longer by the ref.... probably quite a few. Everything in Boxing can change in that split second, i guess thats why it's such a great sport.
              Great post! Agree with everything you said.

Comment

Yet he didn't let Kirkland continue when he fought Ishida. Cortez practically forced Kirkland to stay down lmao.

Comment

I think Marquez was trying to buy some time with the referee since Pacquiao hit him after he went down. As soon as he noticed Cortez was counting anyways, he went back up. See the replay.

Comment

Working...
                  X