No announcement yet.

Old school sweet science boxers list

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by salem-no1 View Post
    great!!!! thanks alot, hours of viewing here! keep em comming if you think of any more, do you guys think bernard hopkins, zab judah, floyd mayweather and pernell whitiker belong on this list?

The best versions of all the guys listed are/were excellent technicians with slick skills.

Comment

Paul Spadafora is a throwback type fighter, not much pop though. Very slick, had a fight once where his opponent only landed 8 percent of his shots.

Comment

great!!!! thanks alot, hours of viewing here! keep em comming if you think of any more, do you guys think bernard hopkins, zab judah, floyd mayweather and pernell whitiker belong on this list?
        The others are obvious, but IMO, Zab Judah doesn't belong anywhere near it. Being blessed with speed and power doesn't make you a master boxer. And no fighter in my lifetime has been more overrated for accomplishing less than Judah has (except maybe John Mugabi).

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
          Sweet Science is another way of saying..........Willie Pep! Only man to have won a round without throwing a punch!!! Movement, slipping, parring, fainting genius. The most beautifull moving boxer ever whos live story is amazing when you read how he survived a plane crash and came back to actual fight again, incredible!! I knew Pep for many years and when we had shows at the Hartford Civic Center it was always nice to talk with Pep for a while. A true character in life and a legendary boxer!! Ray.
          Come on now Ray, we all know this isn't true and that that myth has been debunked.

Comment

myth or legend??? Will of the Wisp!!! Not even Sugarman could move sweeter than the Willoman!! Just to let you know how tuff he was he was married 6 times so as he would say "starting over 6 times is tuff to do" but he said he was an experienced home buyer and giver too!! Great guy, terrific boxer! Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
              Sorry bud.

How about Kid Gavilan?
              That's a good one.

Comment

Hello people, i love studying and watching the old slick style of boxing. Like
                James Toney and Ezzard Charles. Can anyone recomend any other boxers to study with this simmilar elusive style. I love watching it.

Thanks people
                I always think of Pep and Whitaker. Today it would be Mayweather jr.

Comment

Tony Canzoneri
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhduRmOjwOg

Ike Williams
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tipoXKXKOA

Panama Al Brown
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cfn7YnDxKM4

Sandy Saddler
                  Floyd Mayweather Sr

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                    myth or legend??? Will of the Wisp!!! Not even Sugarman could move sweeter than the Willoman!! Just to let you know how tuff he was he was married 6 times so as he would say "starting over 6 times is tuff to do" but he said he was an experienced home buyer and giver too!! Great guy, terrific boxer! Ray
                    He seemed like a very nice man. I met him at Foxwoods at a Pazienza fight. He sat with me and my friends for 10 or 15 minutes. We didn't even talk boxing, he wanted to know about us.

The winning a round without throwing a punch is a myth though. It was aid to happen in the Jackie Graves fight (if memory serves) but didn't.

Comment

charley burley

ezzard charles

jersey joe walcott

benny leonard

james toney is a throwback fighter

same with bernard hopkins

Comment

Working...
                      X