No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Upon Further Review: Rotten D.C. Verdict Still Stinks

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Upon Further Review: Rotten D.C. Verdict Still Stinks

By Lyle Fitzsimmons - It’s getting close to 72 hours… and I still can’t decide how I feel.

Suffice to say, though, that the whole of Saturday’s show from Washington, D.C. has me conflicted.

First off, regardless of who actually won the fight-of-the-year-quality main event (Lamont Peterson) – and/or who actually deserved to (Amir Khan) – my forecast of a final showcase performance by Khan on the way to a super cash-out a division north was, shall we say, a bit off.

Had Michael Buffer spat "and still" rather than "and new" after what seemed an inordinate mathematical delay at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center, the handsome Brit with Pakistani tribal roots would still have had some serious image-reclamation work to do.

By any measure, his performance was disappointing.

And needless to say, even winning a chaotic scrap at 140 with a guy who’d gone 0-1-1 in his two biggest fights wouldn’t have been the most convincing evidence that Khan – even at 27-1 – was rightful heir to the P4P thrones now held by the Mayweathers and Pacquiaos at 147.

It was barely worthy, in fact, of court jesters Berto, Ortiz and Jones.

While he looked intermittently brilliant letting his hands go and befuddling Peterson with movement, there were far too many occasions when Khan was drawn into firefights and apparently flummoxed by his inability to render a less-skilled foe unconscious, or at least unwilling.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Rightful heir to the P4P throne?
    Befuddling Peterson with movement?

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
      By Lyle Fitzsimmons - It’s getting close to 72 hours… and I still can’t decide how I feel.

Suffice to say, though, that the whole of Saturday’s show from Washington, D.C. has me conflicted.

First off, regardless of who actually won the fight-of-the-year-quality main event (Lamont Peterson) – and/or who actually deserved to (Amir Khan) – my forecast of a final showcase performance by Khan on the way to a super cash-out a division north was, shall we say, a bit off.

Had Michael Buffer spat "and still" rather than "and new" after what seemed an inordinate mathematical delay at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center, the handsome Brit with Pakistani tribal roots would still have had some serious image-reclamation work to do.

By any measure, his performance was disappointing.

And needless to say, even winning a chaotic scrap at 140 with a guy who’d gone 0-1-1 in his two biggest fights wouldn’t have been the most convincing evidence that Khan – even at 27-1 – was rightful heir to the P4P thrones now held by the Mayweathers and Pacquiaos at 147.

It was barely worthy, in fact, of court jesters Berto, Ortiz and Jones.

While he looked intermittently brilliant letting his hands go and befuddling Peterson with movement, there were far too many occasions when Khan was drawn into firefights and apparently flummoxed by his inability to render a less-skilled foe unconscious, or at least unwilling.
      [Click Here To Read More]
      What more can expect darma darma

Comment

Originally posted by hougigo View Post
        LOL, I know right. When are fools gonna stop crying and blame Khan for excessive pushing. British announcers did it, seems the rest of the world needs to play catch up. I had Khan winning 113-112, but i'm not mad with the decision. Live and learn Khan.

Comment

Great article, a great fight forever tarnished by a shocking ref

Comment

Originally posted by hougigo View Post
            Not to mention "though Cooper’s every bit as indictable for not simply applying in-fight context to supplement the skull-first, bore-in style that Peterson was given a pass on employing for 36 minutes."

What the hell was this writer watching? Peterson by no means fought a dirty fight. How many clashes of heads were there? I can't even remember one. As far as I'm concerned the ref did a stand up job. People are just butt hurt because he took a point in the last round. In my opinion he should have took the 2nd point a hell of a lot sooner. Khan had plenty of warnings.

The writer didn't mention Khan pushing off with the elbows, the constant leaning down on Peterson's neck and let us not forget those headlocks. All these kind of tactics spoil fights, I wish more refs would deduct points for such antics.
            Last edited by Rapid Counter; 12-13-2011, 04:45 AM.

Comment

"Befuddling Peterson with movement"

Comment

I think people are outraged because the points were taken from a fighter the status of Khan. But truth be told, he was fouling the whole fight. Not only was he pushing off with the forearm, he was also holding down the back of Peterson's head. If you listen to the ref throughout the fight, he was giving Khan warnings the whole time.How many times do you have to tell a fighter not to do something before he decides to listen??? The points were rightfully taken away. It just seemed strange because it determined the outcome of a world championship fight.

But here's the problem. Khan is a young exciting fighter, but he has a lot of amateur ways when he fights. He was running throwing flurries hoping to outpoint Peterson as if it was an amateur box off. Khan's only defense is his legs, so to avoid the heavy shots, he runs, not dance on his toes, but literally runs. Second, he can't fight on the inside and that's why he pushes off and holds fighters' heads down. Now here's a logical question. If it were 2 amateur fighters that nonone had heard of, would the ref deduct points for the same foul Khan was committing? YES!!! Not only would he have deducted points, but its a possibility that he would have disqualified him. Go back and watch how Khan Ko'd Judah. He was holding his head down. If Freddie Roach was this great trainer like everyone declares him to be, shouldn't he have corrected these flaws by now?

The fight was very close. It could have been a draw, but only 1 person showed up and fought like a world class fighter and that was Lamont Peterson. That's why he is the new champion. Amir showed a great chin and great heart, but he's been exposed already. He can't handle sustained pressure and body attack from a skilled fighter. If he doesn't learn to fight on the inside, the rematch will be the same.

Comment

The 2nd point deduction was for hitting on the break. That was stupid of Khan.

When Larry asked Lamont about the point deductions Lamont said he didn't mind the pushing. It was the constant down-holding of his head by Khan that bothered him.

So, he often pushed, held Lamont's head down and hit once on the break.

Khan asked for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Main Source View Post
                    The 2nd point deduction was for hitting on the break. That was stupid of Khan.

When Larry asked Lamont about the point deductions Lamont said he didn't mind the pushing. It was the constant down-holding of his head by Khan that bothered him.

So, he often pushed, held Lamont's head down and hit once on the break.

Khan asked for it.
                    I seem to remember him hitting on the break the first time too, although it seemed like the ref had already decided to deduct a point for the constant pushing (on the replay it was clear that Khan pushed him once, then pushed him again very shortly after and that was when the ref reacted), and as the ref stepped in to take the point Khan tagged Peterson as the ref was already calling for a break.

In short, I didn't think the deductions were so bad. I also thought the fight was razor close and could have gone either way.

Comment

Working...
                    X