Comments Thread For: Broner: I Want To Stop The Mayweather Comparisons

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BoxingGenius27 View Post
    Hey Dan,

This situation reminds me of the Ali-Holmes comparisons.

Holmes copied Ali's style to a T. No matter who Holmes fought and who he beat, he never got outside Ali's shadow even when he beat an over the hill Ali.

I wasn't alive during this time, but I did some research on it.

Since I know you were around and followed the sport, can you tell me if you see similarities to Broner-Mayweather that you did to Ali-Holmes; if any.

And if you see this playing out the same way?
    I'd say Leonard tried to be more like Ali than Holmes did.

Comment

I feel just the opposite

Comment

Floyd Mayweather has better reflexes, boxing skills and is much more versatile but Broner has the one thing that nobody with the last name Mayweather has ever had and that is real, one punch KO power

Comment

@ 4:10

Comment

Comparing himself to Floyd just added extra pressure on him
            He is a good fighter but needs to start down his own road
            Nothing wrong with aiming to be as good as the best tho

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingGenius27 View Post
              Hey Dan,

This situation reminds me of the Ali-Holmes comparisons.

Holmes copied Ali's style to a T. No matter who Holmes fought and who he beat, he never got outside Ali's shadow even when he beat an over the hill Ali.

I wasn't alive during this time, but I did some research on it.

Since I know you were around and followed the sport, can you tell me if you see similarities to Broner-Mayweather that you did to Ali-Holmes; if any.

And if you see this playing out the same way?
              It's a similar situation, absolutely.

Holmes could never get out of Ali's shadow just like I don't think Broner will ever be out of Mayweather's shadow.

Ali was also a lot better than Holmes was. Although Holmes was very good himself. I feel that's going to be a similar thing with Broner-Mayweather.

I get the sense Broner is trying and forcing himself to be like Mayweather more than Holmes did with Ali though. Holmes spent time with Ali, up close and personal. I think things naturally rubbed off on him and he had some good physical attributes for it to work. I think defensively, Broner doesn't seem natural with how he defends.

Let's just hope a 40 year old Mayweather doesn't get a beating by a prime Broner
              Last edited by IronDanHamza; 11-18-2012, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
                I'd say Leonard tried to be more like Ali than Holmes did.
                In terms of styles of fighting, Holmes fought just like Ali. Very similar.

Leonard I don't think fights like Ali all that much to be honest with you. He has some traits that are similar but Leonard has his own style.

Comment

Originally posted by writeright View Post
                  @ 4:10

good video, good questions, great answers

Comment

Originally posted by ManOnTheMoon View Post
                    Floyd Mayweather has better reflexes, boxing skills and is much more versatile but Broner has the one thing that nobody with the last name Mayweather has ever had and that is real, one punch KO power
                    Have you only seen Floyd since he got to 147? :| Floyd was a monster and he had crippling power both to the head and body. I don't think Broner has one punch KO power, but he definitely has pop. He'll get some KOs, but I don't expect him to KO people like he did some of the other...lesser fighters once he gets to 140 and up. Enjoy him while he's young, it feels like it wasn't so long ago we had Floyd to talk about in this type of light. Funny thing...I've always hated Floyd...but I find Broner to be kind of funny at times...doesn't bug me AS much the more I see and hear of him.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                      It's a similar situation, absolutely.

Holmes could never get out of Ali's shadow just like I don't think Broner will ever be out of Mayweather's shadow.

Ali was also a lot better than Holmes was. Although Holmes was very good himself. I feel that's going to be a similar thing with Broner-Mayweather.

I get the sense Broner is trying and forcing himself to be like Mayweather more than Holmes did with Ali though. Holmes spent time with Ali, up close and personal. I think things naturally rubbed off on him and he had some good physical attributes for it to work. I think defensively, Broner doesn't seem natural with how he defends.

Let's just hope a 40 year old Mayweather doesn't get a beating by a prime Broner
                      Just what I was thinking.

Documentaries and articles could only do so much. It's always good to get the perspective of someone who was actually alive during this time for I wasn't.

Thanks for the clarification Dan.

Comment

Working...
                      X