Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roy Jones Jr Or Carlos Monzon? Who's Greater?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roy Jones Jr Or Carlos Monzon? Who's Greater?

Who would you rank higher on your ATG list and why?

Bump!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Roy Jones without a doubt.

Comment

Cigarette paper close.. I list Monzon just one place ahead of him, but i've got no quarrel with anyone who has it close either way.. Resumes are about the same, Power's about the same.. Jones is faster, but Monzon has the better chin and can perform over 15 rounds..

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
          Cigarette paper close.. I list Monzon just one place ahead of him, but i've got no quarrel with anyone who has it close either way.. Resumes are about the same, Power's about the same.. Jones is faster, but Monzon has the better chin and can perform over 15 rounds..
          Mick, if Roy can do 12 rounds he can do 20. I also believe Roy had a good chin. He never lost in his prime, I don't know how anybody can claim anybody has a better chin that he did.

Roy also moved up the weight classes and became HW champion of the world. You can't ask more out of a fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by CarlosG815 View Post
            Mick, if Roy can do 12 rounds he can do 20. I also believe Roy had a good chin. He never lost in his prime, I don't know how anybody can claim anybody has a better chin that he did.

Roy also moved up the weight classes and became HW champion of the world. You can't ask more out of a fighter.
            I'm not doubting Roy could have fought 15 rounders, i'm just saying Monzon did, making it a slightly tougher era.. I also give more credit for defending an undisputed title 14 times and taking on all of it's divisions top fighters.. In my opinion Jones would have been much greater than Monzon had he cleaned out at least one division, as opposed to shopping around for titles.. Going up to HW, just to run and jab with the clumbersome John Ruiz badly effected what should have been his best performances. Monzon would have had the likes of Johnson and Tarver for breakfast, and Roy could have done too..

Comment

I have a hard time predicting Monzon versus any top opponent, as it's hard to understand what set him apart.

Comment

The Greatest Middleweight of all time Carlos Monzon gets my vote!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tengoshi View Post
                  I have a hard time predicting Monzon versus any top opponent, as it's hard to understand what set him apart.
                  Ring Generalmanship are the words you're looking for..

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
                    Ring Generalmanship are the words you're looking for..
                    Yeah but that isn't enough to go on to predict a fight against RJJ. Would that overcome speed and athleticism? You can find fighters better than him at just about any other aspect of the game, but Monzon was a whole greater than the sum of its parts.

Comment

Working...
                    X