Calzaghe was a rare jewel

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post
      Calzaghe threw 700+ punches to B-Hop's 468, Calzaghe also landed at a higher rate. JC even had time to simulate buggery on the executioner amongst the festivities, so no, I personally don't think he was particularly slowed down.

Regarding Ward, much depends on the reffing. Forced to fight on the outside, I think Calzaghe is the superior pure boxer. If Ward has license to maul on the inside, then he probably takes it over 12.

I don't tend to take no notice of compubox though I have to doubt it was that high and he certainly didn't have a good connect percentage. From what I recall Joe did throw more nut noway near as many as he usually did & B-Hop landed the harder more accurate shots.

I've always had to give Joe that though his conditioning and workrate was exceptional.

Comment

Originally posted by Saracen View Post
        Calzaghe jumped up to 175 vs hopkins. Plus it was a messy fight.

168 is another story.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

B-Hop had only had 1 fight at 175 I think. If anything I think 168 may well of favoured B-Hop more!

Comment

Before he even turned pro I knew Calzaghe was going to be special. Everyone involved in the UK scene did at the time (well, we thought we might).

But I think he let himself down with his long stretches of mediocre opponents. It's probably not all his fault but I still feel that his career wasn't what it should have been.

As for the people calling him 'slappy', I guarantee none of you would last a round with him, even today.

Comment

[floyd] he beat who they put in front of him/[stans]

Comment

calzaghe was a great fighter imo. i know alot of people dont like him, but he was damn good

with that said. a bhop who was not in his mid 40s would make joe look real real bad...pretty handily too.

i dono that anyone can seriously say a prime joe can beat a prime bhop or a prime roy, i think they are just taking with hate, not logic, which we are all used to here

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
                B-Hop had only had 1 fight at 175 I think. If anything I think 168 may well of favoured B-Hop more!
                True but Bernard was still better acustomed to 175 by that age IMO. Calzaghe looked terrible but I also feel weight may have affected him a little. He looked particularly sluggish. Hopkin's performed good and Calzaghe looked pretty sloppy.

Comment

Originally posted by El Gallo Negro! View Post
                  [floyd] he beat who they put in front of him/[stans]

this is not a floyd thread, you mentally ill stalker nuthuggin troll.

you really think the facade you put up deters from the fact that you are in love with floyd mayweather jr? cause i can assure, it does not!

...weirdo

- its not floyds semen, but it'll hold you over until the next time you can sneak into his bedroom and suck the jizz outta him.

Comment

Originally posted by Saracen View Post
                    True but Bernard was still better acustomed to 175 by that age IMO. Calzaghe looked terrible but I also feel weight may have affected him a little. He looked particularly sluggish. Hopkin's performed good and Calzaghe looked pretty sloppy.

Calzaghe is quite a big guy, bigger than B-Hop is naturally, I don't feel the weight was a problem.
                    I think Hopkins made him look sloppy with his feints, movement & defense.

I feel his feints messed Joe up and he couldn't get off as he'd of liked to of and was throwing in desperation for most part.

Comment

Ward boxes his ears off.

Shot Roy Jones who had lost all of his power floored him also, prime Roy utterly crushes him.

Comment

Working...
                      X