No announcement yet.

Weight Training

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weight Training

What are your thoughts on weight training and boxing? Do you recommend lifting weights or is better to do resistance training and plyometrics? I hear so many mixed results about this topic, some saying weight training slow your reaction time down and decreases flexibility. Others say benefits them and make them faster and stronger. Im already aware that lifting to much with completely slow you down. So, would you recommend weight training into a boxing schedule like heavy weight and low reps (5x5). Or should i just stay away from weights all together? Also post some before and after experiences of yours with weight training.

Well I never used to use weights this is the first season I've started using them (5th year)
    I only do them twice a week their not really heavy tbh but i feel a lot stronger in the clinches and can turn my sparring partners in the corners easier and bully them around abit more. I have gotten slower but that's because I'm 2 weight classes heavier than when I first started

Comment

They will only slow you down if you are trying to build bulk. If you go a little lighter and do more reps; it should not slow you down at all. With that said, I also recommend Yoga as part of your routine, it will help lengthen those muscles out. Plus it will help minimize injury.

Comment

i do weight training two times a week and it doesn't slow me down at all. it helps for those times in clinches and it does correct your form a bit in boxing as crazy as it may sound

Comment

If you do not lift heavy weights and you're a boxer, you're only limiting yourself.

Comment

like 5 years ago when I started lifting while boxing the difference was huge. I felt so much stronger and more effective with my punches

Comment

Working...
            X