Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thomas Hearns - How do you rate his Boxing Skills

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hearns had impressive boxing skills and was never outboxed. He used his physical advantages well, being taller and having a significantly longer reach that most of his competitors as well as usually being faster and pretty much always more powerful.

Hearns had the skill to outbox the best of them as was evident in the Leonard fights, however, his boxing brain didn't quite match his skillset; he had a tendancy to slug when he could have gotten away with boxing on his toes. As seen in the Hagler and Leonard fights, he often did alot better boxing than slugging because, despite his devestating power, his chin was usually inferior when fighting world class opposition.

Comment

Originally posted by 1SILVA View Post
      He outboxed master boxers like Leonard, Benitez and Virgil Hill.

He also outboxed Benitez with an injured hand for a good portion of that fight, it speaks volume of his skills.

One of the flaws was that Hearns sometimes will leave his chin exposed as the first Barkley fight.

I always wondered if Hearns had used his jab and footwork with Hagler how different that fight would have been? By going for the kill, he hurt his hand early against Hagler.

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
        Thomas`Hitman`Hearns one of the most devastating punchers in Boxing History but how do you rate his Boxing skills & ability at boxing?
        this is a very good question as when people think about tommy they think of his thunderous power shots,when he hit cuevas with the first right cuevas looked like he just consumed a bottle of tequila when he got hit with the second right he was out like a light,with duran when duran got hit with the devastating right it seemed like duran got hit with a shot gun blast he went down chin first into the canvas only to be awakened with smelling salts,but hearns was a fantastic boxer as he displayed this skill against ray leonard,i think he should of used the skill in more fights

Comment

Certainly more to Hearns than the punching power, think his biggest weakness more than his chin and stamina was that he bought into his own punching power too much and should have boxed more at times rather than going for the KO

Comment

He wasn't the finest defensive fighter but offensively he was one of the best. Had every punch and knew how to use them.

Comment

i dont think his boxing i.q really matched his skill set

Comment

Working...
              X