No announcement yet.

Duran-Whitaker

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duran-Whitaker

Most on here realize Duran was not in proper shape for the second Leonard fight and was frustrated by Rays showboating and unwillingness to fight Durans fight. We already know how an in shape Duran fought Leonard the first time, but how would a prime Duran at 135 do against a prime Whitaker at 135, who could be even more cocky than Leonard and was better defensively? Could Pea frustrate Duran into another "No Mas" or would Duran keep applying the pressure and break down the slickster from Norfolk, Virginia? 15 rounds. who wins and how would it play out?

I have a feeling that Whitaker would've been able to pull this one off, I think Duran would have trouble with Whitaker's slickness and even though Duran is the superior inside fighter I think Whitaker would've been able to hold his own in there when he really needs to and I don't recall Whitaker ever really being worn down by pressure, in fact he looked even better against pressure fighters who came at him leaving openings for his counters. Duran would definitely have his moments, especially when the fight wears on when he warms up and he is a better pressure fighter than any Whitaker has fought.

Whitaker hasn't been 15 rounds even though he never seemed to have any stamina problems going 12.

Whitaker by close-ish decision, 8-7 or 9-6, something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Silencers View Post
      I have a feeling that Whitaker would've been able to pull this one off, I think Duran would have trouble with Whitaker's slickness and even though Duran is the superior inside fighter I think Whitaker would've been able to hold his own in there when he really needs to and I don't recall Whitaker ever really being worn down by pressure, in fact he looked even better against pressure fighters who came at him leaving openings for his counters. Duran would definitely have his moments, especially when the fight wears on when he warms up and he is a better pressure fighter than any Whitaker has fought.

Whitaker hasn't been 15 rounds even though he never seemed to have any stamina problems going 12.

Whitaker by close-ish decision, 8-7 or 9-6, something like that.

Agree with this, Duran would come on strong down the stretch when tiredness starts to set in and Whitaker holds his feet a bit more but he would of landed the cleaner effective punches over the coarse of the fight to accumulate more rounds and therefore win the fight.

Whitaker was World Class at frustrating the opponent and making them fight his fight, plus he was also an excellent counter puncher who could fight inside or outside.

Duran does not enough wrinkles to his game to beat Whitaker imo, Duran would have to think his way in against Whitaker otherwise he would never pin Whitaker down, that all out aggression would not work against Whitaker because he would have to pin Whitaker down first before he could get off, meanwhile Whitaker would just break his rhythm up with his jab and movement & frustrate him.

Duran looks good against dumber fighters like Moore,Barkley but he could not cope with guys that gave him movement and asked him to close the distance, Leonard, Laing, Benitez all outfoxed him.

Comment

Whitaker wins by either a close decision or making during repeat "No Mas".

Comment

Whitaker gets robbed. If there ever was a robbery to predict, this is one of them. Judges simply won't appreciate what Whitaker does in the fight...which will be clearly out pointing his more aggressive opponent.

Comment

I'm with Obama on this one. Whitaker does more than enough to win but gets robbed Julio Cesar Chavez style.

Comment

All good answers so far. But I was wondering more about Pea's ability to frustrate Duran and the way he would mock his opponents. Would an in shape Duran boil over with aggravation and frustration the way the out of shape Duran did against Leonard?

Comment

Originally posted by Obama View Post
                Whitaker gets robbed. If there ever was a robbery to predict, this is one of them. Judges simply won't appreciate what Whitaker does in the fight...which will be clearly out pointing his more aggressive opponent.
                truer words were never spoken..

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                All good answers so far. But I was wondering more about Pea's ability to frustrate Duran and the way he would mock his opponents. Would an in shape Duran boil over with aggravation and frustration the way the out of shape Duran did against Leonard?
                I think Duran gets frustrated..Pea imo was alot slicker than SRL..
                it was hell to hit him..he not only made his opponents miss..he humilated them for 12 rounds doing so..

Comment

People seem to forget about old Ken Buchanan he was a pretty slick fighter IMO and Duran just wore him down through his relentlessness.
                  Tricky one to call, be some fight though.

Comment

I think at 135 it will be one hell of a fight. But i think it will be one of those fights judges will decide on style preference. I can see Sweetpea out jabbing Duran and making him miss but i also can see Duran hitting with the harder shots and doing good body work. Also at 135 Duran had clearly his greatest power and in an old school 15 RD fight i can see Duran outworking sweetpea and winning by either MD or SD simply by pressure. But this is just speculation.

Comment

Working...
                    X