No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Four BoxingScene.com Writers Win BWAA Awards

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Four BoxingScene.com Writers Win BWAA Awards

Four writers for BoxingScene.com — Lyle Fitzsimmons, Thomas Gerbasi, David P. Greisman and Cliff Rold — have been recognized in this year’s “Bernies” competition, which recognizes the best boxing writing among members of the Boxing Writers Association of America.

Fitzsimmons won a third-place award in the event coverage category for “Hopkins unsure of fight future,” his coverage of the aftermath of Hopkins’ loss in his rematch with Chad Dawson.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Congratulations.

Can't believe this is Cliff Rold's first award. For my money he's the best writer BoxingScene has by far.
    Last edited by ShoulderRoll; 03-26-2013, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Congratulations to those guys.

Comment

That's a pretty solid bunch. All those guys do a great job here...

Comment

Rold, Gerbasi and Greisman, sure, but Fitzsimmons, c'mon.
          I've seen some BS articles of his on here.
          maybe he's improved though. I haven't read his stuff for ages.
          Tend to just skip the story if i see his name.

Comment

All Star lineup...well done, gents....congrats

Comment

So let me get this straight. These are awards from the BWAA, awarded to writers in the BWAA.
              So they basically are giving themselves a pat on the back.
              M'kay.

Comment

Here's to the winners ...... Congrats fellas

Comment

Originally posted by mattr View Post
                  So let me get this straight. These are awards from the BWAA, awarded to writers in the BWAA.
                  So they basically are giving themselves a pat on the back.
                  M'kay.
                  I think the rule now is that only members of the organization are allowed to compete for their awards. On some of the past years non-members were allowed to compete. Only a few non-members have been given awards.

Essentially, only a few hundred people are members of their organization. Those who choose to compete for an award sends out no more than one entry per category.

The actual voters for the awards are independent of the organization. Which is different from the actual fighter awards. So the award is given by the BWAA, but not voted by their members.

There are many accomplished boxing writers who choose not to join the group. The guy who wrote Duran and Arguello's bio Christian Giuddice(sp?) for example has never joined among others.

There are annual dues to join them. Of course, their committee needs to approve membership.

Comment

Lyle Fitzsimmons....that's the guy who wrote that terrible and tasteless piece on Gatti on here just before Christmas. Apologies if that's a different guy.

I know he apologised but if there's a wooden spoon award going then he should get it for writing that tripe.

Congratulations to everyone still though, of all the writers on BS.com I enjoy Cliff Rold the most.

Comment

Working...
                    X