No announcement yet.

Joe Louis vs Ali, prime for prime

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe Louis vs Ali, prime for prime

Okay, who takes this one, state who you think wins, and how/why they win, give a good detailed analysis that we can talk over
    Louis by KO/TKO
    8.00%
    Louis on points
    4.00%
    Ali by KO/TKO
    36.00%
    Ali on points
    52.00%
    Last edited by RightCross94; 07-04-2009, 05:54 AM.

Whilst I think Louis is the only heavyweight who can rival Ali for the GOAT spot, I can't see him winning in a head to head match up. If you presented Louis with a static target, then he'd destroy it. But a fast moving target gave him problems. Louis' hands were fast but his feet were slow and I think it will be a case of Louis stalking Muhammad, and Ali circling and outlanding Louis.
    The rounds would start piling up against Louis and I doubt Ali would make the same mistake as Billy Conn and start going toe to toe. Should Louis catch Ali, I'm sure he has the chin to take it and the common sense to keep back and clear his head.

I'll say Ali by UD or late TKO at best.
    Ivich Ivich likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Southpaw Stinger View Post
      Whilst I think Louis is the only heavyweight who can rival Ali for the GOAT spot, I can't see him winning in a head to head match up. If you presented Louis with a static target, then he'd destroy it. But a fast moving target gave him problems. Louis' hands were fast but his feet were slow and I think it will be a case of Louis stalking Muhammad, and Ali circling and outlanding Louis.
      The rounds would start piling up against Louis and I doubt Ali would make the same mistake as Billy Conn and start going toe to toe. Should Louis catch Ali, I'm sure he has the chin to take it and the common sense to keep back and clear his head.

I'll say Ali by UD or late TKO at best.
      my thoughts exactly

i want jab to come into this thread as he had a good analysis of why he thought joe takes this

Comment

Any version of Ali stops him 15 out of 10 times. Lets pick a prime vs prime matchup.

Louis is slow on his feet, Ali could dance for over 15 rounds in his prime, which means he also had much better stamina than Louis. His footwork alone would give him a huge advantage and leave poor Joe clueless.

Louis had problems with a great jab. Ali had one of the longest and fastest jabs, as well as the most damaging. He cut up a lot of faces with those snappy jabs. Anyway, he'd stop the confused Louis in his tracks every time with it.

Louis had a lazy low left hand. Combine that with Ali's extremely fast right hands, and it's counters after counters all night long.

He also had a granite chin compared to Louis' glass chin. He took the best punches from 3 top 10 hardest hitters ever: Foreman, Shavers and Frazier. Frazier was the only one to knock down a rusty Ali in the last round with one of the greatest money shots ever landed. And guess what, Ali got up in 2 seconds.
        So if anyone is idiotic enough, which there are, to say Louis would KO Ali, that just proves yet again how overrated Joe Louis truly is.

Out of all the all time greats, Ali would have the easiest time with Louis. Horrific mismatch and styles matchup.
        So really, Ali is superior in every single way. A completely superior human being.
        Last edited by Slimey Limey; 07-04-2009, 06:12 AM.

Comment

The thoughts of Ali himself and Cus D'amato

Comment

Originally posted by KostyaTszyu View Post
            my thoughts exactly

i want jab to come into this thread as he had a good analysis of why he thought joe takes this
            The only good analysis that Louis bum sniffer can give is when he isn't talking about certain fighters he has an agenda with. No doubt he'll give an extremely unrealistic strawman argument as to how Louis would beat Ali.

Comment

Originally posted by Southpaw Stinger View Post
              The thoughts of Ali himself and Cus D'amato

Nice video, thanks for sharing. Personally i think Ali would take this fight, with his lateral movement and his quick feet he would be able to stop Louis getting set and throwing those big bombs. One thing is for sure, Ali couldn't use the rope a dope tactic in this fight.
              I wouldn't rule Louis totally out, i generally give any top 10 heavy a chance against the other, if he is able to cut off the ring and use his jab effectively and upset Ali's rhythm there is a chance he could land with his big shots.

More times that not i would go for an Ali UD
              Last edited by The Iron Man; 07-04-2009, 07:35 AM.

Comment

This is the most talked about non entity in sporting history..
                I really hate answering this question cos it's only a hairs breath that seperates them..

I think it's Ali Frazier in reverse..

If they had 3 fights, this is how I'd see it..

1. Ali UD
                2. Louis TKO 14
                3. Louis SD

REASONS: No doubt if in the same era, they'd have fought more than once..
                I'm a great admirer of both (1&2 ATG) so I've evaluated my conclusions mostly on who they both fought TWICE, and who had the better resume in the return.. Louis wins this hands down..

Ali (2 defeats)

Norton (never really improved against him)
                Bugner (same)
                Cooper (still no improvement)
                Spinks (slight improvement)
                Frazier (so close the rubber decided it)

Louis (all wins)

Abe Simon (fight 1 = KO 13 fight 2 = KO 6)
                Buddy Baer (fight 1 = KO 7 fight 2 = KO 1
                Walcott (fight 1 = DC 15 fight 2 = KO 11)

I know that this doesn't settle the argument, & I don't think anything ever will.. But this is my yard stick for this particular thread.. See you shortly, Slime..

Comment

Ali would knock him out everyday of the week, horrible style matchup. In a big fight like this Ali would bring his A game and Louis landing anything is even debatable. He was to slow of foot and his reach wasn't long enough to reach Ali from afar.

Ali by KO, with the right hand, Louis would get up a few times though because he had great heart and was well conditioned.
                  moneytheman Ascended likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
                    This is the most talked about non entity in sporting history..
                    I really hate answering this question cos it's only a hairs breath that seperates them..

I think it's Ali Frazier in reverse..

If they had 3 fights, this is how I'd see it..

1. Ali UD
                    2. Louis TKO 14
                    3. Louis SD

REASONS: No doubt if in the same era, they'd have fought more than once..
                    I'm a great admirer of both (1&2 ATG) so I've evaluated my conclusions mostly on who they both fought TWICE, and who had the better resume in the return.. Louis wins this hands down..

Ali (2 defeats)

Norton (never really improved against him)
                    Bugner (same)
                    Cooper (still no improvement)
                    Spinks (slight improvement)
                    Frazier (so close the rubber decided it)

Louis (all wins)

Abe Simon (fight 1 = KO 13 fight 2 = KO 6)
                    Buddy Baer (fight 1 = KO 7 fight 2 = KO 1
                    Walcott (fight 1 = DC 15 fight 2 = KO 11)

I know that this doesn't settle the argument, & I don't think anything ever will.. But this is my yard stick for this particular thread.. See you shortly, Slime..

yea but look at the competition difference..Abe Simon? that guy was a comedic giant that you might see in Robin Hood. Walcott beat him (Louis), anyone with an ounce of knowledge knows this.

I'm not saying Louis is bad, check out my ATG list, but in this matchup he's not going to win.
                    Last edited by them_apples; 07-04-2009, 01:01 PM.
                    moneytheman Ascended likes this.

Comment

Working...
                    X