Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pacquiao dumps Murad as promoter

Pacquiao dumps Murad as promoter
    By dennis principe

Manny Pacquiao has decided to terminate his promotional deal with Murad Muhammad saying the American promoter had failed to package a mega fight deal before the end of the year.

Murad signed Pacquiao to a six-fight, 2 ½ year promotional contract worth $2.5 million middle of 2001 which is set to end this December.

"This is my decision. He’s made more money from my previous fights. That’s why I will now terminate my contract with him," said Pacquiao, insisting that Murad failed to fulfill significant parts of their contract.

The 25-year-old Pacquiao also declared that once the contract expires, he will stay as a free agent and personally work on every deal that will come his way.

Here's the link:
    http://www.mb.com.ph/SPRT2004100719982.html

Yes, DUMPED!!!Like a Bovine Dung Heap that he is!!!

The Nazario Funeral Pyre: Coming Soon to a Theatre Near You! Watch for it! It's HOT!!!
    Last edited by grayfist; 10-06-2004, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Manny can chose his manager and promoter. He has the right to change Mural or continue with him under another contract. If Mural is "dumped", let's just say it mildly, his contract has expired.

Comment

The Pacqiao-St. Clair meeting is one that could have been arranged by just about anyone. It doesn't need a self- proclaimed "Miracle Maker", like Murad. Murad's job is to get the tough ones-- fights that need to happen but are difficult to make. It is part of life's harsh realities that seldom does one get good pay and be expected to do nothing. The higher the pay, the tougher the job.

If Murad helped arranged Manny's meeting with Barrera; he may get credt for that, 'though there are those who insist that it was less what Murad did than that Barrera wanted to shut the "punk" Manny up (Manny had been calling him out since Ledwaba) that made the fight happen. Moreover, it made good business sense to Golden Boy Promotions which had just inked Barrera to a promotions pact after he divorced his long-time Mexican handlers. Barrera's quondam handlers had hauled him to court; Barrera needed the money that a Pacquiao meeting could rake in. Also, Golden Boy's people, and the Vegas odds-makers with them, gave Manny little more than a Chinaman's chance of beating the legend. Manny was just seen as one of those many milestones in Barrera's inexhorable march towards all-time greatness.

I don't know if Murad had anything to do with the Ledwaba set-to; as far as I can remember, Manny was a last- minute replacement and had the stroke of sheer luck to be at the proper place, at the proper time and in the proper shape. Manny's destiny, many said. No Murad could have done any good if any one of those three elements was missing.

The Marquez fight was visibly less Murad than Arum who wanted to rachet up JMM's career and raise him to the level of marquee fighter.

Manny's other so-called big fights were in the undercards (the Barrera fight was Manny's first and, to date last, time to headline a card in the U.S.). Those were in defense of his jr. featherweight title. It was not as if Murad had to pull tricks out of his hat to make fights like those happen. Contenders and their managers (at least a vast majority of them) live for the day when they're given shots at the title. Those jr. feather fights would still have happened without Murad. Murad was just there to collect his share of Manny's purse.

I can't see how I can buy into Murad's claim of being the "Miracle Maker". If any miracle has happened, it is that Murad has been getting away with that appellation without ever having been seriously challenged with regard his role in Team Pacquiao. If we go by what he has done with Manny's career, Murad is, at best, an illusionist-- a good one. But people have started getting wise to his tricks.

There are other labels that people have come up with to describe Murad, of course. I am not one to argue against those labels. I, myself, have come up with a few...
        Last edited by grayfist; 10-10-2004, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by grayfist
          The Pacqiao-St. Clair meeting is one that could have been arranged by just about anyone. It doesn't need a self- proclaimed "Miracle Maker", like Murad. Murad's job is to get the tough ones-- fights that need to happen but are difficult to make. Murad helped arranged Manny's meeting with Barrera; he may get credt for that, 'though there are those who insist that it was less what Murad did than that Barrera wanted to shut the "punk" Manny up (Manny had been calling him out since Ledwaba) that made the fight happen. Moreover, it made good business sense to Golden Boy Promotions which had just inked Barrera to a promotions pact after he divorced his long-time Mexican handlers. Golden Boy's people, and the Vegas odds-makers with them, gave Manny little more than a Chinaman's chance of beating the legend.

I don't know if Murad had anything to do with the Ledwaba set-to; as far as I can remember, Manny was a last- minute replacement and had the stroke of sheer luck to be at the proper place, at the proper time and in the proper shape. Manny's destiny, many said. No Murad could have done any good if any one of those three elements was missing.

The Marquez fight was visibly less Murad than Arum who wanted to rachet up JMM's career and raise him to the level of marquee fighter.

Manny's other so-called big fights were in the undercards (the Barrera fight was Manny's first and, to date last, time to headline a card in the U.S.). Those were in defense of his jr. featherweight title. It was not as if Murad had to pull tricks out of his hat to make fights like those happen. Contenders and their managers (at least a vast majority of them) live for the day when they're given shots at the title. Those jr. feather fights would have happened without Murad.

I can't see how I can buy into Murad's claim of being the "Miracle Maker". If any miracle has happened, it is that Murad has been getting away with that appellation without ever having been seriously challenged with regard his role in Team Pacquiao. If we go by what he has done with Manny's career, Murad is, at best, an illusionist-- a good one. But people have started getting wise to his tricks.

There are other labels that people have come up with to describe Murad, of course. I am not one to argue against those labels. I, myself, have come up with a few...
          Very good points you raise there grayfist gj!

But now twe talks between Pac and Morales meeting in Feb have resurfaced and should Pac get through St. Clair and the Morales fight actually takes place, Murad may have actually delievered in Manny's eyes even though it would be more of Arum's doing. WOuld Manny keep him after that? He'll be stuck with a greedy snake for a promoter...then again is there another kind?

Comment

Originally posted by m00ks
            Very good points you raise there grayfist gj!

But now twe talks between Pac and Morales meeting in Feb have resurfaced and should Pac get through St. Clair and the Morales fight actually takes place, Murad may have actually delievered in Manny's eyes even though it would be more of Arum's doing. WOuld Manny keep him after that? He'll be stuck with a greedy snake for a promoter...then again is there another kind?
            Heya, Pal!!! None that I can see, nope, no other kind of promoter! Some say that snake and promoter are synonyms! Sad that Manny's choices are limited to between the rock and a hard place! Great talking to you again, buddy!

Note: If the Pac-Erik fight happens on Feb, then Manny can take Murad out of the picture as his contract shall have expired by then (if it's true that the contract's life terminates around end of the year). I must confess ignorance about anything that the contract contains but from what I've been getting in terms of rumors, Freddie is helping Manny some in having direct pipelines to Arum and other big-time promoters. Nazario's contract is only up to Feb., so I heard. American courts have favored fighters getting out of unenforceable contracts in decisions over the past decade, so I think Manny can have a shot. Don't know for sure, though. I haven't seen a letter of the pact. It's just a thought....Or, am I punching the moon? Again? Thanks again, buddy!
            Last edited by grayfist; 10-10-2004, 10:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by grayfist
              Heya, Pal!!! None that I can see, nope, no other kind of promoter! Some say that snake and promoter are synonyms! Sad that Manny's choices are limited to between the rock and a hard place! Great talking to you again, buddy!
              Heya think this Morales and Pac is gonan push through thsi time, or more hot air coming out of Arum?

Comment

Originally posted by m00ks
                Heya think this Morales and Pac is gonan push through thsi time, or more hot air coming out of Arum?
                With Arum and his ilk, one can never be sure! One day the talk is about Marquez, the next, Morales, then, Barrera... Makes one giddy!! !

Comment

Yeah right that's what Manny declared but it's not official yet. The contract is still good until February.

Manny has all the rights to chose and do what pleases him, my only worry is that Murad might drag him to a court battle that might only distract him. So I would prefer if Manny plays out the remaining 4 months of that contract and end his association with Muard legally . . . by doing this expect no further implications.

Comment

Working...
                  X