Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you think Marciano would fair in todays heavyweight division?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you think Marciano would fair in todays heavyweight division?

Do you see anyone beating him and if so, what fighters would you pick over him??

Originally posted by slicksouthpaw16 View Post
    Do you see anyone beating him and if so, what fighters would you pick over him??
    not sure if he cut weight like he used to he would be a cruiserweight, but i could see him making around 200-205 easy and still in great shape, I would pick him to beat the likes of chageav, peter, sultan, povetkin, chambers etc, I think he would have trouble against Wlad and Valuev due to the height and reach adv but the rest he would beat, Just because Wlad and Valuev have such a height adv doesnt mean they would beat rocky though i would still give him a chance against them.

Comment

Originally posted by duffgun View Post
      not sure if he cut weight like he used to he would be a cruiserweight, but i could see him making around 200-205 easy and still in great shape, I would pick him to beat the likes of chageav, peter, sultan, povetkin, chambers etc, I think he would have trouble against Wlad and Valuev the rest he would beat.
      I think he would get on the inside of Valuev and stay there. Valuev would actually have a hard time hitting Marciano becuase he is so tall( and slow) and Marciano is so short and has good inside game. It would be a weird fight to watch but i see Marciano beating him.

Comment

I think he would get on the inside of Valuev and stay there. Valuev would actually have a hard time hitting Marciano becuase he is so tall( and slow) and Marciano is so short and has good inside game. It would be a weird fight to watch but i see Marciano beating him.
        Yeah i think Marciano would have a chance against Valuev it would be odd to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by duffgun View Post
          Yeah i think Marciano would have a chance against Valuev it would be odd to watch.
          I can actually see Chagaev giving Marciano more problems than Valuev with his boxing ability and southpaw style. Him having a bit of punching power could also be a problem for Rocky. It would be a hard fight.
          Last edited by slicksouthpaw16; 08-11-2008, 04:32 AM.

Comment

I firmly believe that today's fighters like Ibragimov, Povetkin and Chambers are not much bigger than Marciano was, they just may not train as hard.

Ibragimov used to fight at 190-200 lbs as an amateur (and not just because he was young, he was an amateur until 27 years of age when he became a pro), Chambers could make cruiserweight quite easily, Povetkin and Chagaev are both rather 'soft', although otherwise in good condition.

Now Marciano's problems would come against a talented boxer with size like Wladimir, it's impossible to know how Marciano would've done against someone with great size and skill, the big men he fought were simply talentless.
            But it is true that Wladimir can fold under pressure, the one thing that Marciano does have on his side in this match-up, perhaps Wladimir's fight against the smaller pressure fighter Povetkin will prove something.

I also think that a crafty boxer with legs to go 12 rounds under pressure could confuse Marciano and win a decision. Marciano was a 15 round fighter and would've lost several decisions if his fights had been 12 rounders like in today's era.

Rocky was probably the most relentless heavyweight ever, he just never stopped punching. It may not have been pretty but it certainly was effective.
            Last edited by TheGreatA; 08-11-2008, 06:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheManchine View Post
              I firmly believe that today's fighters like Ibragimov, Povetkin and Chambers are not much bigger than Marciano was, they just may not train as hard.

Ibragimov used to fight at 190-200 lbs as an amateur (and not just because he was young, he was an amateur until 27 years of age when he became a pro), Chambers could make cruiserweight quite easily, Povetkin and Chagaev are both rather 'soft', although otherwise in good condition.
              I agree heavyweights like Marciano used to cut down to be in better shape something few of the modern heavy’s do

Comment

In today's era of larger gloves, shorter fights, and stricter referees, I feel that Marciano would be less effective. He'd probably beat anyone of comparative size, but in my opinion if he fought under modern conditions against one of the better, larger heavyweights of the past 10-15 years I think his best chance would be to score a late KO whilst behind on the scorecards.

Out of the those fighters who are currently active I think he beats Sam Peter (who I do not rate highly), David Haye and almost all of the rest as well. I haven't seen enough of Chagaev to be certain. I'm not sure how much Wlad has improved but I suspect that he would again lose his composure if hurt by someone like Marciano. Rocky would probably have to take a lot of punches to get inside though and I'm not sure who I'd pick.

He had outstanding heart, determination, work rate and stamina, and these would give him a chance against anyone, but I am not one of those who feels that Marciano had a deceptively good defence. I think he was very open and would be picked apart by a larger, more skillful fighter of the modern era. Sadly there aren't really (m)any fighters like that at HW.
                Last edited by Clegg; 08-11-2008, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheManchine View Post

Now Marciano's problems would come against a talented boxer with size like Wladimir, it's impossible to know how Marciano would've done against someone with great size and skill, the big men he fought were simply talentless.
                  But it is true that Wladimir can fold under pressure, the one thing that Marciano does have on his side in this match-up, perhaps Wladimir's fight against the smaller pressure fighter Povetkin will prove something.

I also think that a crafty boxer with legs to go 12 rounds under pressure could confuse Marciano and win a decision. Marciano was a 15 round fighter and would've lost several decisions if his fights had been 12 rounders like in today's era.

Rocky was probably the most relentless heavyweight ever, he just never stopped punching. It may not have been pretty but it certainly was effective.
                  I gotta tell ya, I love reading your posts and opinions!

Comment

Not well. This is a totally different era where a 5'10 188 pound fighter with a 68 inch reach would not make it in the heavyweight division. But...in terms of talent, toughness, heart, stamina, conditioning, and determination, he's better than any of the current heavyweights and none of them will every rank as high as Marcinao all time. Or even close.

Comment

Working...
                    X