Collapse
No announcement yet.

ATG with losses while still prime to lesser fighters

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Listen, boxing is a sport. In sports, you can lose! If you fight a bigger guy, you may lose. If you're sick, you may lose. If your opponent uses brass knuckles, you may lose. If you take the fight lightly, you may lose. If you're over aggressive, you may lose. If you have too much sex, you may lose. If your wife is messing around, you may lose. So what? It's the whole package you look at. If a boxer is a badass, he's a badass. If he loses once in a while...part of the game. NOBODY is invincible! Running around to keep your face clean does not make you invincible! Invisible maybe!

Comment

Originally posted by junior gong View Post
      Duran's loss to DeJesus.
      Esteban De Jesus was not a lesser fighter. He was a top class boxer, good enough to beat Roberto Duran . He could only be "lesser' in terms of Duran as the red line, ONLY because Duran beat him. I saw and have the 3 fights and De Jesus was excellent, except he was well past his best in the last one. It was nip-and-tuck between them all the way. Who else put Duran down in the first round TWICE......maybe someone-Idon't know?

Comment

Originally posted by Slyboots View Post
        Berto is an ATG? And why do you have the word "loss" in quotations?

JMM's loss to Freddie Norwood.
        Freddy Norwood was a very good fighter with about 8-10 title defences. Marquez just wasn't good enough for him at that period.

Comment

Ali to smokin' joe frazier.

Comment

Originally posted by edgarg View Post
            Freddy Norwood was a very good fighter with about 8-10 title defences. Marquez just wasn't good enough for him at that period.
            Imo Marquez won the Norwood fight by a few rounds, will have to watch it again too score it (Don't really want too though), although I remember it was a close and ugly fight but JMM was the clear winner and should of scored a KD if not for Cortez's poor reffing that night, saying that Marquez wasn't good enough for him then is wrong.
            Last edited by NChristo; 07-22-2013, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Syf View Post
              Prime Ali is back when he had his legs.. before the ban. Ali fought Frasier, Norton, Foreman, ect... all when he was passed prime.
              Originally posted by kiDynamite92 View Post
              I consider Ali's prime before he the 3 and a half years of inactivity, after he came back he didn't have the legs anymore. Sure he was still amazing, but way off his prime and I also think the current version of Wlad is his prime, he was younger and inexperienced then. But regardless i see sander Ko'ing his 10/10.
              I consider pre ban Ali a vintage Ali. I know he wasn't the same Ali, but when you arguably achieve your biggest victories after the fight, I think it is completely unfair to say he was out of his prime. He wasn't vintage, no.

And yes, Wlad. So lets say Povetkin whoops him in September, guys ten years from now would say on a Forum that Wlad was out of his prime when he lost to povetkin.

Comment

Originally posted by Earl Hickey View Post
                B-Hop comes to mind, two losses to the good but not great Jermain Taylor back in 2005.

I know people will argue that he was past prime back then but I don't buy it, he's still a world champ now, 8 years after the fact.

Any other examples
                I never heard of a prime 40 year old fighter before plus both were highly controversial. But fine job baiting, sir.

Comment

Working...
                X