Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Oct. 13 HBO Twinbill: Participants as Excited as The Fans

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Oct. 13 HBO Twinbill: Participants as Excited as The Fans

By Jake Donovan - Nothing is a sure thing, especially in boxing. Still, the October 13 HBO-televised doubleheader has boxing fans thinking this will be a night to remember for a long time.

Playing in the fans’ favor is the fact that the participants seem just as eager.

All four fighters are involved in the toughest test of their respective careers. The headlining bout pits top super bantamweights Toshiaki Nishioka and Nonito Donaire in a bout that will – barring a draw or no-contest – reestablish divisional championship lineage for the first time in four years following Israel Vazquez’ extended hiatus in 2008 after three wars with Rafael Marquez.

The co-feature bout is what has really heightened anticipation surrounding this card. Current 140 lb. contender Mike Alvarado takes on former lightweight champ Brandon ‘Bam Bam’ Rios in a matchup of unbeaten sluggers that has boxing fans talking Fight of the Year accolades.

“October 13 is going to be a great night of action,” Bob Arum stated during Tuesday’s presser to formally announce the event, which takes place at the Home Depot Center in Carson, CA. “The October 13 televised card consists of two matches. There is the WBO Latino 140 lb. title between Brandon Rios and Mike Alvarado.

“This fight, for whatever belt it’s fought for – this bout, I don’t have to tell you will be a candidate for Fight of the Year. Everyone I know wants to see the fight because the two combatants go at it. There are no holds barred and will be extremely enjoyable for the fans.”

Both fighters have already been in their fair share of wars as they are amidst their respective optimal primes. The fight was initially made without the guarantee of a title shot. It was later announced that the fight will be an eliminator of sorts, with the winner first in line for the title presently in the possession of Juan Manuel Marquez, should he choose to hold onto the belt for that long. [Click Here To Read More]

I can't reiterate enough: GREAT FIGHT. CAN'T WAIT.

Comment

Last night I dreamt Alvarado totally destroyed Rios in 1. He moved in on Rios with a jab and started doing some work inside. Finally walked Rios down to his own corner and destroyed him there.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Look for Nishioka and Mike to finish strong and pull these bouts out of the fire.

I anticipate the same for Chavez Jr.

Comment

I hope the 36 years old nishi ll be on shape cuz he didn't look like that in his last bout....

Comment

Working...
          X