No announcement yet.

cotto's jab

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VanillaBuron View Post
    why didnt he use it many ways against mayweather, his most recent fight. i thought yeeah cotto, u got him with a jab, what else you got. he had nothing else to offer then a stiff jab.

punch stats will put it as a jab
    cause floyd is one of the best defensive fighters ever...............

Comment

yep, i saw mayweather put a beating on your man kneeguel.

cotto's right aint even worth talking about, its weak bro
      see kow you just trolling............
      Last edited by Larry the boss; 05-11-2012, 10:43 PM.

Comment

i watched the fight like you...just saying bout the punch stats, it was a simple jab, ive seen andre ward use his jab as a power punch, but cotto's was just hmm, very accurate, not a power punch though.

where was cotto's left hooks, even through the guard, was it just 'not the right fight for the left hook'.

i wanted to see cotto compete but all he had was a damn jab. how you going to win a fight like that.
        Regardless of what i think of the fight what your claims show a problem with his jab, they highlight a problem with his overall style.

Comment

Originally posted by Fists_of_Fury View Post
          Every good southpaw turned conventional I know of doesn't have that good of a right hand. They usually always have a strong left hook. I never understand why people convert.
          If I am not mistaken Cotto converted due to that bad car accident that got him a titanium rod... I cant find my source right now, but maybe someone else can confirm.

Comment

Originally posted by FeFist View Post
            Don't even know why people entertain threads like this, if a jabs only purpose was to set up other punches Larry Holmes Jab would not be distinguished from Shane Mosley's.

A good jab can do more than set up the next punch, it can serve as a power punch, it can disrupt rhythm, it can act as a defensive too, means of controlling the pace of the fight etc.

You're taking a simplistic approach to the purpose of a jab which has led you to the wrong conclusion.
            These are great points, maybe the TS is just disappointed that Miguel should have developed his right hand more than just a limp limb...

Comment

Cotto more inclined to hook off the jab just because he doesn't have confidence in his right like he does his left hook. He still throws the right better since he had the shoulder surgery though. Cotto throws his jab harder than some guys throw power punches. It isn't just range finding, it hurts and bloodied Mayweather's face up. That jab can knock you off balance and he has great timing with it. He should use it just the way he does, he gets the most effectiveness out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by FeFist View Post
                Don't even know why people entertain threads like this, if a jabs only purpose was to set up other punches Larry Holmes Jab would not be distinguished from Shane Mosley's.

A good jab can do more than set up the next punch, it can serve as a power punch, it can disrupt rhythm, it can act as a defensive too, means of controlling the pace of the fight etc.

You're taking a simplistic approach to the purpose of a jab which has led you to the wrong conclusion.
                That! Great post!

Comment

Working...
                X