No announcement yet.

Resistance running???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resistance running???

Hello everyone, my 13yo has been past along my slow twitch muscle genes, meaning hes a steady jog long distance sorta guy like me. Anyways I do have him do sprints but I have not seen the type of improvement I would like to see in his foot speed. So my thought is this, I have seen a dramatic improvement in handspeed with my boys by implementing an upperbody resistance band exercise so I want to use the same concept for the legs/feet. I know sprinters and football players use resistance bands to improve speed but have you or anyone you know done the same for boxing? Is there a specific routine that you do? Also if you recommend a SPECIFIC youtube video, please share it. Thanks!

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
    Hello everyone, my 13yo has been past along my slow twitch muscle genes, meaning hes a steady jog long distance sorta guy like me. Anyways I do have him do sprints but I have not seen the type of improvement I would like to see in his foot speed. So my thought is this, I have seen a dramatic improvement in handspeed with my boys by implementing an upperbody resistance band exercise so I want to use the same concept for the legs/feet. I know sprinters and football players use resistance bands to improve speed but have you or anyone you know done the same for boxing? Is there a specific routine that you do? Also if you recommend a SPECIFIC youtube video, please share it. Thanks!

For quick feet this football drill is superb:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yynZkH8DYYU

it makes your feet lightning fast!

And the resistance band is one footwork drill of many others, good for overall explosiveness

Comment

For quick feet this football drill is superb:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yynZkH8DYYU

it makes your feet lightning fast!

And the resistance band is one footwork drill of many others, good for overall explosiveness

And lastly the more common known exercise is skipping.
      You can change the intensity, making him to crazy ,high paced, tricks
      (There are a lot of youtube videos, e.g. Floyd Mayweather etc)

Comment

To improve footspeed have him start of facing forward then have him jump a few inches in the air and change which way he is facing. I believe football players do it too.

Comment

Football players are actually doing it differently. Resistance bands for football players are usually used to fatigue them earlier. Reason for that is mainly their weight, shorter workouts work better for them. Another way resistance bands can be used is to maximize the strength in certain areas, which has not really anything to do with speed. If football players want to gain speed in their sprints they do a lot of explosive weightlifting and assisted sprints, where they are pulled in the sprinting direction to adapt the muscles to the speed. Another variation is starting sprints with resistance and then disengaging the resistance cable.
          Look at this video, about football players prepairing for the combine https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2khzW_8wCY

Comment

Working...
          X