Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robiskie impressive at combine

......Robiskie thrills at scouting drills
    by Mary Kay Cabot, Plain Dealer Reporter , Plain Dealer

Ohio State receiver Brian Robiskie, son of former Browns assistant Terry Robiskie, dazzled coaches and scouts with his workout at the NFL Scouting Combine on Sunday.

Robiskie, projected by some as a second-round pick, was timed at 4.48 seconds in the 40-yard dash. Robiskie, who was hoping to post a sub-4.5 time, was named Performer of the Day, his dad said Sunday night while waiting for a flight back to Atlanta, where he's receivers coach for the Falcons.

"He was excellent in all the drills," said the elder Robiskie. "I thought he did a great job of running his routes, a nice job of making his cuts and he caught every ball. He was very, very smooth and he topped it off by running a corner route and making a left-handed, one-handed catch, which I thought was tremendous."

Robiskie finished fifth among receivers in the three-cone drill (6.72) and eighth in the 20-yard shuttle.

NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock was equally impressed with Robiskie, who played at Chagrin Falls High.

"I loved him," Mayock said. "He looked good. And he really didn't surprise me, because that's who he is. He ran high 4.4s. He grew up with Football. I thought 4.55 or better for him would be great. He caught everything. He runs every drill.

"He's just a professional because of his dad. He runs great routes. If there's a more solid second-round pick out there, I haven't seen him. And some teams at the end of the first round might say, 'If we don't have our guy, he's a guy we'd like to have in our back pocket.' "

Robiskie went into the day hoping to shed the image that he's not a burner. Earlier in the week he said: "It doesn't bother me. I don't know where that came from, but hopefully, I'll have a chance to answer that."

Belichick on Kokinis: Browns General Manager George Kokinis almost wrecked his shot at an NFL career.

Patriots coach Bill Belichick, making a rare appearance in the media room at the NFL Scouting Combine, revealed Sunday that he almost canned Kokinis when Kokinis was a Browns gofer in 1991 and Belichick was head coach.

"I remember I was this close to firing him," Belichick said, holding his thumb and index finger an inch apart. "One of the jobs when he was first there was driving guys to the airport, and he got into an accident. And I wasn't too happy about that. But George has done a tremendous job and I'm very happy for him."

Kokinis, who was inside Lucas Oil Stadium watching running backs, wide receivers and quarterbacks work out, was not available to share his side of the crash story.

Incidentally, Belichick named almost everyone on that Browns staff in the early 1990s - except for new Browns coach Eric Mangini, who was one of his protgs. Belichick and Mangini have been estranged since Mangini left New England to take the Jets head coaching job and then blew the whistle on the Pats for taping the Jets' defensive signals.

LB coach hired: Mangini officially hired former University of Missouri assistant Matt Eberflus as linebackers coach Sunday. Eberflus spent the past eight years at Missouri, where he most recently was associate head coach / defensive coordinator while also coaching safeties. Last season, he helped the Tigers to a Big 12 North Division championship and a victory over Northwestern in the Alamo Bowl.

Eberflus began his career as a graduate assistant at Toledo in 1992. He went on to become recruiting coordinator, safeties coach and defensive backs coach. In 2000, Eberflus' secondary made 15 interceptions and 16 fumble recoveries en route to the nation's best turnover margin.

Eberflus and his wife, Kelly, a Cleveland native, have two daughters, Grace and Giada. Eberflus is Mangini's third hire from the college ranks. He's still in search of a receivers coach to complete his staff.

To reach this Plain Dealer reporter: mcabot@plaind.com, 216-999-4670

Heyward-Bey impressed me the most. His stock is gonna rise even more after the combine workouts. He finna get a big grip of dollaz in the next level. I wouldn't be surprised if the Raiders select him over Maclin now that Maclin is suffering some kind of injury.

Comment

Originally posted by mercadojglb View Post
      Heyward-Bey impressed me the most. His stock is gonna rise even more after the combine workouts. He finna get a big grip of dollaz in the next level. I wouldn't be surprised if the Raiders select him over Maclin now that Maclin is suffering some kind of injury.
      yeah, he was the most impressive to me.

Robiskie's 40 time isn't impressive for a receiver.

Comment

Working...
      X