No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Freddie Roach Gives His Opinion on Williams vs Lara

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Freddie Roach Gives His Opinion on Williams vs Lara

Trainer Freddie Roach has no stake in Erislandy Lara or Paul Williams, so it was interesting to hear his perspective on last Saturday's controversial fight, where Williams was awarded a twelve round majority decision win at the Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City.

[Click Here To Read More]

Disappointing fight? I thought it was pretty good, Lara clearly won and the decision was just plain stupid.

Comment

im a williams fan but i watched that fight from beginning to end. Both me and my pops thought that lara should have won that fight. even paul knew he should have lost that fight, look at him at the end when he walks away disappointed and taps lara a tap on the back for his good job.

Comment

Aggressive fighters do get the benefit of thought most times judges count punches not how many lands I'm not shocked P-Will won in the first Martinez fight he was landing flush left hands right hooks but only a few times a round P-Will walked threw them punches and outworked Martinez for 12 rounds and won you gotta knock the Punisher out to truly beat him Quintana got lucky cause he keeps coming and coming never quit blood and guts warrior
        Last edited by MrClutch85; 07-14-2011, 03:35 AM.

Comment

Thats what I've been saying. When one guy throws a ridiculous amount of punches and keeps coming forward and the opponent is a counterpuncher it'll be rare to see the judges give it to the counterpuncher. Its really not that surprising.

Comment

I could have told you this just based on playing the fight night series, counter punchers never win

Comment

Those judges don't know that your supposed to score fights based on 4 different criteria.

Pwill was coming forward but he missed so many punches it wasn't even funny. He threw over 1000 punches but landed less than 20%.

These judges were giving him rounds for hitting air and getting blocked.

Comment

Originally posted by MrClutch85 View Post
                Aggressive fighters do get the benefit of thought most times judges count punches not how many lands I'm not shocked P-Will won in the first Martinez fight he was landing flush left hands right hooks but only a few times a round P-Will walked threw them punches and outworked Martinez for 12 rounds and won you gotta knock the Punisher out to truly beat him Quintana got lucky cause he keeps coming and coming never quit blood and guts warrior
                Martinez worked Paul over in the first fight....just look at their faces after the final bell, Williams has that same loser look because he knows he got beat. It doesn't work that way for all fighters, being more active doesn't win fights.

It only works for the marketable ones such as Williams. He has been an HBO staple for several years now and one of the only consistent American boxing stars so of course they consider him a commodity. Lara worked Williams over bigtime except for like 3 rds and I was betting on Williams to win. This ripoff stuff is just a joke and when no one wants to entertain being a boxing star because of it, the organizations have no one to blame but themselves for letting it happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Brockton Lip View Post
                  Thats what I've been saying. When one guy throws a ridiculous amount of punches and keeps coming forward and the opponent is a counterpuncher it'll be rare to see the judges give it to the counterpuncher. Its really not that surprising.
                  I score effective punching.........not air punches. All of Floyd's opponents are more active than he is and try to press the action more than Floyd does yet he wins by WIDE, WIDE margins......why is this? Answer = he is marketable and lucrative so he is a winner. It comes down to money man, not being the aggressor. lets say you get a point per punch, 2 points for being the aggressor in each rd, 2 points for controlling the fight with ring generalship, and 2 points for effective counter punching. If you didn't do better than the other guy in any of the last 3 categories, you only score 1 point. whoever gets the higher point total in each rd scores a 10, the other guy gets a 9...barring a kd happening in the round.

Williams gets 2 for generalship and 2 for being the aggressor, while Lara gets 2 for effective counterpunching. The difference is 2 points in the round and then Lara outlands Williams by 6 punches or more in almost every rd. How does Williams ever get the nod? Someone paid the judges to make sure he won the fight, that's how.
                  Last edited by mathed; 07-14-2011, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by vacon04 View Post
                    Disappointing fight? I thought it was pretty good, Lara clearly won and the decision was just plain stupid.
                    Good fight? WTF were you watching?

It was Williams getting hit with left hands all night and slapping in return. It wasn't even close and at one point and time even the commentators said it should be stopped.

Horrible fight and bad night for HBO. Showtime was much better that night.

Comment

Working...
                    X