Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chin Debate. Does Knock downs count towards your chin ratings? I think KD'S do.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I voted no. Knock downs don't mean much if the fighter is up without a count, unhurt and back on the attack as was often the case with Trinidad. He usually KOed his opponent soon after he had been knocked down. Some fighters may not be knocked down but still be badly hurt and out on their feet. Trinidad fought hard punchers at the championship level for 13 years and over 20 tittle fights and was only stopped once by Hopkins because his father stopped the fight. He was never counted out and his chin was a hell of a lot better than average. Almost all fighters get knocked down, even those with great chins. Ali was knocked down several times and Robinson was down I think 11 times. If they get up and recover to finish the fight every time then they have good chins. A fighter could have a great chin and still get KOed if they get hit hard enough and often enough like Mosley did to Margarito. Fighters like Judah and Khan that get hurt easily and cannot recover have weak chins for the championshiup level.

Comment

knockdowns aren't always a pure punch-resistance issue, though. there are factors like balance, how you're positioned when you take the punch etc. you can be knocked down without being hurt or shaken up.

and anyone can be knocked down or hurt by a good shot. if you show the ability to recover from shots/knockdowns that would end other men, surely that's a credit to your ability to absorb punches?

i don't know. to each his own.
      Last edited by S. Saddler 1310; 01-11-2013, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Interesting poll results so far.

Comment

I don't know what other people count towards a chin, but I count KDs. Whether a fighter recovers is irrelevant to me, if you are hitting the canvas often, you are chinny.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
            No, because many times getting knocked down means you just were caught off balance and has nothing to do with your ability to take a shot.

Trinidad got knocked down most of the time that way.
            Agreed. I mean, Tito took shots from 147-160 and was stopped once--after eating a million punches from Hopkins. And even then he was ready to continue. As Larry Merchant said about him, "You don't have 20-some odd championship fights without having a good chin."

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
              No, because many times getting knocked down means you just were caught off balance and has nothing to do with your ability to take a shot.

Trinidad got knocked down most of the time that way.
              How about a guy like JMM, he's been KD many times while really hurt

Its not as black and white as most make it out to be

Comment

I voted no. As an example I consider Timothy Bradley to have a good chin. Kendall Holt ripped him with a punch that would probably have buried most fighters. But he recovered quickly and bounced back.

Comment

Even Froch was genuinely knocked down. He wasn't wobbly or anything, but still was knocked down. I think the combination that was landed on him would have knocked most people out. The guy has a granite chin.

If people are only knocked down as a result of a vicious combo or whatever, that would usually knock people out, I think the knockdown can actually be a sign of a granite chin. Factors such as balance, position etc all play their role.

Comment

If a fighter get's dropped on a regular basis, and get's dropped hard (think JMM) then yes, he is chinny.

However, off-balance KD's and the likes don't mean anything IMO. Anyone will go over if they get caught off-balance. ****, even Abraham has suffered a balance KD and his chin is iron.

Then there is the ability to recover, an entirely different variable.

Comment

Flash KD'S probably shouldn't count towards chin.

but JMM was hurt a lot of times he was dropped. so saying that it's all flash kds in regards to him is false.

SERGIO and TITO have a lot of flash kd's that being sad.. Sergio was seriously hurt against Jr. and Tito looked to be hurt against Vargas..

Comment

Working...
                      X