Collapse
No announcement yet.

Virgil Hunter speaks on training Amir Khan, and why he felt Cotto lost to Trout

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virgil Hunter speaks on training Amir Khan, and why he felt Cotto lost to Trout

RingTV

******.com: How is Khan doing?

Virgil Hunter: Amir is doing well. The thing is is that we're coming together on an understanding on a lot things, and he's applying them. I look for good things from him.

******.com: What are the key changes you are expecting to see in Khan's game against Molina?

VH: Well, I felt that he needed an understanding of boxing. He needed more mental training instead of physical, and that that was going help him.

Amir Khan has the physical ability to adapt to this understanding. I mean, it's not anything that he can't do if he understands why he's doing it and why he needs to do it. It's not like he has to be taught something.

He just has to have it mentally infused into him why he needs to do this, and then, when he's in the ring, he needs to be given examples of why he needs to do them. So he learns very quickly.

******.com: Can you give an example?

VH: Well, in other words, if you're getting hit in this area, the first thing that I'm going to tell you is why you're getting hit in this area.

Then, then is what you need to do, physically, to avoid getting hit in this area, and this is why you're getting hit there. Or, why are you even taking yourself into this area and this doesn't even have to happen.

So the communication is one of preventing things as opposed to adding things. It's not like I'm having to add something to him, I'm eliminating.

******.com: What are your thoughts on Molina?

VH: He's a good fighter and he's going to be determined, and I don't think that it's going to be an easy fight. But as the rounds emerge, I expect for Amir to execute.

******.com: Are you looking necessarily for a knockout or the foundation of what you're teaching to become manifest in his execution?

VH: Well, if the knockout comes, it comes, but more than anything, what I'm interested in is seeing him begin to apply the things that we're working on.

You know, not allowing things to happen. And if he can knock him out in the process, and in the course of that, that would be great. But the mindset is not to allow this to happen.

So, it's like, "I'm not going to let this happen," and, "I'm not going to get caught here or doing this." His offense speaks for itself, the guy who tries to knock Amir out has got to be willing to get hit.

******.com: Meaning what?

VH: You know, you're not going to just walk in there and knock him out. Amir is going to hit you, and he's going to hit you from some awkward angles, really hard and really fast.

So, anybody who tries to knock him out has got to be willing, like Danny Garcia, to stand there and be in the mouth of the cannon, and be willing to punch with him.

And you had better have some power. But that's the whole thing, is for Amir to recognize when guys are trying to do something.

Garcia was the only one who was willing to take the punishment to try to get his punch through. Prescott just caught him cold. But in each fight, he still had an opportunity to overcome the situation.

******.com: What do yo mean by that?

VH: If he would have thought, once he got up. So, that's what people are not looking at. They say that it's his chin, but I don't think it's that, because he got up from a heckuva punch.

******.com: You had some thoughts on Khan's mentality going into the Garcia fight?

VH: Well, that fight was lost long before it was fought. At the press conference, when Angel Garcia was going at him, Amir should have been calmed down.

When Angel got up there and said what he said, somebody -- me as a coach -- I would have pulled Amir to the side and said, "Look man, you're not fighting him."

I would say, "So don't get caught up in what he is saying." But as soon as he started jawing back and forth with the father, I would have interceded.

I would have definitely would hve gotten up and interceded, and Angel would have been my job and not his.

I would have had some have had something to say to Angel, nothing stupid, but I would make him ashamed of some of the stuff that he was saying.

Later on, I would have taken the kid to dinner, sat him down and said, "Look, we're not training for Angel, this is only his biggest chance, which is to get you mentally out of your game."

I would say, "He's trying to get you to do something that you shouldn't be doing," and that's what happened. That's one of the advantages of being an amateur coach at the highest levels.

******.com: You mentioned that it was a mistake for Cotto to train at high altitude for the first time in his career before facing Trout, what do you mean?

VH: That's not always good for fighters, because it stresses the body tremendously. Your blood is like sludge at first, and I'm not going to tell them how to train at high altitude, because there is a way to do it.

But I'm not going to mention it. But if you are training at high altitude with a 32-year-old body, it takes five to six weeks just to overcome the stress aspects of it.

So if you've got to go through all of the other training to get ready for the fight, then you're wore out. And all of the extra stuff that you've got to do, chasingi balls and this exercise and that exercise...

That's not good for a 32-year-old. But I still picked Austin to win, before I realized Cotto's training program. But it's too much for a 32-year-old who has been in all of the wars Cotto has been in, to absorb.

When you're younger, you may be able to handle it a little bit more. But at 32 years old, at high altitude, I wouldn't have done that with the wear and tear on his body. How much can his body take?

In the fight, he wasn't even up on his legs like he normally is, and he didn't move like he normally moves. Think about his movement that night. He trained too hard to be facing a 27-year-old guy who is big and strong.

The combination of the high altitude and the over-training, and he was facing a young man. Trout also made a smart, smart, smart training decision bringing DonYil Livingston into his camp to spar.

Livingston is Cotto's size, but boxes exactly like Cotto and is just as good. I know that he gave Trout all that he can handle. He kept DonYil Livingston in his camp for six weeks, so I knew he was going to be ready.

He's an astute man and I wish him luck with Khan, if Virgil can't help Khan, no-one can.

Comment

Cotto was out of gas going into the 7th round, his mouth was hanging open from the 5th until the end of the fight. He always gasses out in fights but i thought he gassed way sooner than usual, what Virgil says explains, to me, exactly what happened

Comment

I look forward to seeing what virgil does with khan, hopefully he helps his inside game aswell cause in the Peterson fight it was terrible

Comment

Originally posted by jamiegeorge91 View Post
          I look forward to seeing what virgil does with khan, hopefully he helps his inside game aswell cause in the Peterson fight it was terrible
          It was pretty bad but most people felt Khan got robbed.

Comment

And we get under 10 replies for this articulate/insight interview? oh well.... I didnt know Cotto went to train at a high altitude why? The way he trained for the Mayweather fight looks good and i would have thought they would follow the same regime unless Cotto was really big coming into camp and they had to drop a lot of weight... I like the bit also where he said someone should have talked to Khan when Angel Garcia was trashtalking him, That was exactly what i said then and now with Zab Judah.

Comment

Originally posted by I'm so sorry View Post
              It was pretty bad but most people felt Khan got robbed.
              he was robbed i have watched the fight about 10 times and khan won each time,virgil hunter is a boxing genius so i hope he changes khan if he does i dont think he will get beat again.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray* View Post
                And we get under 10 replies for this articulate/insight interview? oh well.... I didnt know Cotto went to train at a high altitude why? The way he trained for the Mayweather fight looks good and i would have thought they would follow the same regime unless Cotto was really big coming into camp and they had to drop a lot of weight... I like the bit also where he said someone should have talked to Khan when Angel Garcia was trashtalking him, That was exactly what i said then and now with Zab Judah.
                This can be explained thus...

The article is about Amir Khan, therefore 99% of viewers will be looking for a way to discredit or abuse Khan in relation to it.

The interview is with Virgil Hunter, who is popular so they don't want to attack him

Nothing he says can be twisted against Khan

Hence not many replies

Eventually someone will pull out a comment on Khan's chin though, it's coming, you'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by joesaiditstrue View Post
                  Cotto was out of gas going into the 7th round, his mouth was hanging open from the 5th until the end of the fight. He always gasses out in fights but i thought he gassed way sooner than usual, what Virgil says explains, to me, exactly what happened
                  He looked tired since the 4th round. It was supposed to be better but this might explain it.

Comment

Virgil's like some kind of prophet... I'm looking forward to see what he's done with Kahn.

Comment

Working...
                    X