No announcement yet.

Mixed Martial Artists switching over to boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixed Martial Artists switching over to boxing

Lately we've seen and heard rumours of an influx of boxers who're retired or near retirement from boxing, shifting over to the MMA realm. My question is this: do MMA's feel as comfortable with their striking abiliities to switch to boxing once their mixed martial arts career is over? And would any of these MMA's have successes solely as boxers. Who?

they can't punch for ****. they wouldn't make in it boxing

Comment

Some guys like Vitali Klitschko and Matt Skelton have had success switching over to boxing from kickboxing/MMA.

Fedor would probably make a wicked CW if he could lose the gut.

Comment

Originally posted by Pullcounter View Post
        they can't punch for ****. they wouldn't make in it boxing
        That's usually my argument. Got me into a fight with an inmate who claimed 'his style' of martial art was far superior to boxing while I spent the weekend in jail. Boxing won. lmao

Comment

I think boxers that switch over to MMA have a better chance at success than MMA fighters who switch over to boxing.

One advantage that boxers have over most MMA fighters is their striking ability. That can be used to a great effect in MMA because they have a better chance at winning the fight if they're standing up.

With MMA fighters, they're pretty much trained in kicking, groundwork and submissions. I might get criticism for this, but I don't think they're in the same league of punching ability as boxers are. Even if they trained for it, it would take a long time and a lot of effort to be able to compete with the elite in boxing. They're just not as fast and don't have as good technique.

Comment

How about Liddell or Spider Silva. They both appear to be pretty good strikers. And Spider has some good side to side movement as well as good counter punching abilities.

Comment

Originally posted by Royalty View Post
              I think boxers that switch over to MMA have a better chance at success than MMA fighters who switch over to boxing.

One advantage that boxers have over most MMA fighters is their striking ability. That can be used to a great effect in MMA because they have a better chance at winning the fight if they're standing up.

With MMA fighters, they're pretty much trained in kicking, groundwork and submissions. I might get criticism for this, but I don't think they're in the same league of punching ability as boxers are. Even if they trained for it, it would take a long time and a lot of effort to be able to compete with the elite in boxing. They're just not as fast and don't have as good technique.
              I don't think you deserve any flak for your opinion. Great post.

Comment

Andre Arlovski and Jens Pulver have.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Horton View Post
                  That's usually my argument. Got me into a fight with an inmate who claimed 'his style' of martial art was far superior to boxing while I spent the weekend in jail. Boxing won. lmao
                  haha, epic.....

Comment

I'm sure some could find SOME success, but because boxing is such a specialized sport, it requires specialize training from a very young age though there are exceptions.

Comment

Working...
                    X