wrist fracture advice ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wrist fracture advice ?

hey all....
    this is my 1st post here...so hope i aint dissin no forum ettiquets etc by js straight up askin 4 advice...
    however my situation is this...
    i fractured my left wrist (im right handed) bout 8 weeks ago...
    technical term is a distal fracture..
    happened at work..i fell off a ladder...lucky really...

just wanted to know if any 1 knws of any trainin methods to strengthen it back up ?

i read on 1 site, it can take 6-12 months to fully heal!
    n even then its still more prone 2 wrist arthritis etc...

obviously i dnt wana cause any long term damage, so does any1 have any recommendations as 2 when to start goin back on the bag etc ?

any advice is much appreciated...

cheers!

you need to go to a physical therapist. they have the correct information, i doubt anyone knows the answer to the question on this forum

Comment

Originally posted by Technical Freak
      hey all....
      this is my 1st post here...so hope i aint dissin no forum ettiquets etc by js straight up askin 4 advice...
      however my situation is this...
      i fractured my left wrist (im right handed) bout 8 weeks ago...
      technical term is a distal fracture..
      happened at work..i fell off a ladder...lucky really...

just wanted to know if any 1 knws of any trainin methods to strengthen it back up ?

i read on 1 site, it can take 6-12 months to fully heal!
      n even then its still more prone 2 wrist arthritis etc...

obviously i dnt wana cause any long term damage, so does any1 have any recommendations as 2 when to start goin back on the bag etc ?

any advice is much appreciated...

cheers!
      Did you have a cast/splint on for the eight weeks?

Look, you got to be real conservative with wrist/forearm fractures. And it's true, the fracture won't be 100% fully united and hardened (ie. calcified) until after 6mths. At eight weeks, the uniting bone is still pretty soft (ie. spongy cartilage) so any contact sports ie. boxing against bags/pads will more than likely break the current bone again.

Exercises right now should concentrate on gettin full range of motion in the wrist and fingers ie. moving ur hand up and down repetitively. U shuld try doing some low level strengthening ie. grabbing and releasing a soft ball/towel to work on ur grip which also works out ur wrist extensor and flexor muscles. And u gotta stretch the wrist out big time...gently pushing ur hand up and down to get a good stretch thru ur wrist.

But bro, let pain be ur guide...u shuld only feel discomfort not sharp pain. No ballistic wrist movement against resistance ie. hitting the bag, no weightbearing activities ie. push-ups. Hey, just stick to ab work and general fitness ie. cycling for the next 4 weeks.

Comment

yea, thats pretty much what id figured out...from what the doc told me when i had the cast off(yes it was on 4 the 8 weeks)
        and letting pain be my guide...
        i guess it is time 2 focus on the legs/abs n general fitness..
        iv been goin footy(soccer) js hopin i wont fall on my wrist !
        n started doin wrist exercises....
        i also found i can do a few pushups using the pushup handles...
        cant really do em on my palms tho...
        so doing that very gently...
        thnx 4 all the advice

i mite start doing 1 arm combat training if i can figure out a training regime...still need 2 be on the safe side 4 the next 6 months whilst this heals....streets is mean

Comment

Working...
        X