No announcement yet.

History today

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
    It may have been a fair decision, but I'm still not ready to jump on any P4P bandwagons. Excellent fight, despite Joe Cortez.
    I was going to ask you if you were ready to put Khan in the P4P status.

Comment

Great fight. Not quite Marquez-Katsidis, but it was awesome. I was impressed by Khan even though I haven't really liked him in the past. I'm not sure why not, but it's how it was. He boxed very well and I thought that Lampley saying that the win was worse because he had to run was unfair. He didn't run enough, honestly. He could have had a comfortable decision win if he didn't want to prove that he was some sort of blood and guts warrior, which is itself laughable. He doesn't have the chin to be an Arturo Gatti so he shouldn't try. Maidana did really well by himself, though. That man wants to win. To me, that's what kept him in the fight even more than his power. He picked himself up from a brutal, brutal bodyshot knockdown at the end of the first, got blitzed for the rest f the early rounds and still found himself on the wrong end of a tight UD. Oh and there is that power, too. God can he punch hard. I haven't been in NSB yet but the HBO crew didn't mention that Cortez cost Maidana a draw. That point deduction was ludicrous - Maidana wasn't anywhere near Khan with the elbow, if it was even intentional. How he got in the hall of fame is totally beyond me.

Comment

Originally posted by bigstereotype View Post
        great fight. Not quite marquez-katsidis, but it was awesome. I was impressed by khan even though i haven't really liked him in the past. I'm not sure why not, but it's how it was. He boxed very well and i thought that lampley saying that the win was worse because he had to run was unfair. He didn't run enough, honestly. He could have had a comfortable decision win if he didn't want to prove that he was some sort of blood and guts warrior, which is itself laughable. He doesn't have the chin to be an arturo gatti so he shouldn't try. Maidana did really well by himself, though. That man wants to win. To me, that's what kept him in the fight even more than his power. He picked himself up from a brutal, brutal bodyshot knockdown at the end of the first, got blitzed for the rest f the early rounds and still found himself on the wrong end of a tight ud. Oh and there is that power, too. God can he punch hard. I haven't been in nsb yet but the hbo crew didn't mention that cortez cost maidana a draw. That point deduction was ludicrous - maidana wasn't anywhere near khan with the elbow, if it was even intentional. How he got in the hall of fame is totally beyond me.
        great post. Cortez is overrated and his induction into the ibhof is a damn insult and disgrace!!!!!!! Give me larry hazzard, davey pearl, mills lane and eddie cotton over him anyday!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Kid McCoy View Post
          I agree that Khan's speed will be the decisive factor. Don't think he'll stand still long enough to get KO'd. I think he'll win a decision.
          Good call. You must be psychic. Can you predict any future New York lotto or Mega Millions numbers?

Comment

Originally posted by 1SILVA View Post
            great post. Cortez is overrated and his induction into the ibhof is a damn insult and disgrace!!!!!!! Give me larry hazzard, davey pearl, mills lane and eddie cotton over him anyday!!!!!
            Agreed. I thought Eddie Cotton wasn't considered a good referee, or was that just in the Lewis/Tyson fight?

Comment

Originally posted by BigStereotype View Post
              Great fight. Not quite Marquez-Katsidis, but it was awesome. I was impressed by Khan even though I haven't really liked him in the past. I'm not sure why not, but it's how it was. He boxed very well and I thought that Lampley saying that the win was worse because he had to run was unfair. He didn't run enough, honestly. He could have had a comfortable decision win if he didn't want to prove that he was some sort of blood and guts warrior, which is itself laughable. He doesn't have the chin to be an Arturo Gatti so he shouldn't try. Maidana did really well by himself, though. That man wants to win. To me, that's what kept him in the fight even more than his power. He picked himself up from a brutal, brutal bodyshot knockdown at the end of the first, got blitzed for the rest f the early rounds and still found himself on the wrong end of a tight UD. Oh and there is that power, too. God can he punch hard. I haven't been in NSB yet but the HBO crew didn't mention that Cortez cost Maidana a draw. That point deduction was ludicrous - Maidana wasn't anywhere near Khan with the elbow, if it was even intentional. How he got in the hall of fame is totally beyond me.
              very good post, i was unable to get a link to watch the fight on HBO so had to settle for the SKY coverage which was as usual`shyte`and i agree with you that Joe Cortez cost Maidana a draw. Cortez day's as a top flight referee are surely over as it pains me watching the guy.. Khan was a fortunate winner in my book with Maidana bossing the 2nd half of the fight, take away the knock down and elbow deduction and the Argentinian was the winner, i lost a £50 bet on Khan to win by KO and will never bet on the guy again(i said same after he beat Malignaggi) as i feel Khan is a knock-out waiting to happen, he does not know how to apply the pressure or fight his way out of trouble.

Comment

I don't mind Sky (I don't like them, but I don't mind them) as long as a British fighter isn't going. They seriously love verbally wanking on British guys. It's like Lampley's man crush on Pacquiao times a thousand. But Khan showed that he can handle pressure better than he could against Prescott. Maidana has horseshoes-and-hand-grenades power and Khan took some hellacious uppercuts after the initial overhands and was wobbled but held on to win. And he did it all without actually holding on, which is even more impressive.

Comment

Hopkins-Pascal. How do you see this fight?

I think Pascal takes the decision. Farily comfortably. Hopkins just doesn't have the workrate any longer and although he'll have his moments I cannot see him keep up.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post

I think Pascal takes the decision. Farily comfortably. Hopkins just doesn't have the workrate any longer and although he'll have his moments I cannot see him keep up.
                    I agree 45 is far to old to be boxing. If he does well or even wins I would like some of the peds he is on. At the weight in his body did not look mid 40s to me he looks in good shape. I wonder how much Hopkins will be able to slow the pace of the fight? Could get ugly.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post

I'm honestly not sure, nearly everything is telling me that Pascal should win a comfortable decision, all the signs are there he's young, hungry, athletic, is talented and Hopkins is an old man who has lost the pop in his punches, but something is telling me that Hopkins is going too make this a very long night for Pascal, lots of dirty moves and such so he does just enough to win a decision. Hopkins has seen something in Pascal he could exploit, otherwise he wouldn't of took the fight, it's just a case of if he's overestimating himself and thinks that the aging body of his can keep up with Pascal enough to exploit them or if he's right.

Comment

Working...
                      X