No announcement yet.

general weight lifting question....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• general weight lifting question....

I know weight lifting isn't generally part of a boxing training regimen but I'v had a nerve injury in my forearms for about 8 months that I'm having surgery on next month, and I haven't been to the gym since around jan. Since I can't punch anything/anyone Iv been lifting since that doesn't seem to aggravate the pinched nerves, and I was curious about how I should be lifting. Is it ok to lift every day if im working different muscle? like can I military bench press on monday, then do bicep curls on Tuesday, or should I just be lifting every other day regardless of the muscles im working? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Of course you're going to get alot of "boxers don't lift" comments on this thread but I think what you're suggesting is alright aslong as you are giving each muscle adequate time to recover and spacing out these exercises alot, as you have mentioned. Good luck with the nerves man.

Comment

hi man, i have been in your position and i was a competitive bodybuilder so i know a little bit about weightlifting. PM if you wanna know more but here is my 2 cents.

Give your body at least one day a weak and i mean AT LEAST, recovery time its essential, i would recommend doing something like a 3 days on 1 off then 2 on and 1 off.

Some basic supplements for muscle recovery wouldnt hurt, like L-Glutamine and Gluscosamine ( note: dont take glucosamine if your family has any record or problems with diabetes ) if not you are good to go.

hope that helps

Comment

Dont lift weights like that are you CRAZY!

But seriously dont. A bodypart split is definitely not good for boxers, heres why:
        -Athletes should train movements not individual muscles to enhance CNS. ex: skullcrushers, front raises, chest flys all work the same muscles as the benchpress but which imitates punches closer? Your muscles need to learn to exert force together not individualy.
        -(this doesnt apply 100% to you since your not currently at a gym) Being sore in any muscle will screw with your skillwork and possibly cause injury (creating a weak link)
        -You could do 3 fullbody workouts a week instead of hitting everything once or twice anyways.
        -Bodybuilders are often bigger than they are strong, carrying around impressive looking muscles that dont do as much as they should or could. Big muscles use more oxygen too so your stamina will decrease. You can still have great stamina but not as much.

(I can only type so much b4 I need to start a new post, stupid comp)brb

Comment

Keep to lower reps (3-5) to avoid extra less functional mass (unless you want it). You can still gain mass that way but you will gain far more strength in as small a package as possible. Use compound lifts like: benchpress, squats, deadlifts, lunges, overhead press, clean & press, snatches etc. Use common sense deciding the number of sets for your workout and whatever you do avoid the bodybuilder hypertrophy zone (8-12 reps usually). Its not gonna kill ya to do it bodybuilder style but it will have minimal benefits and possibly (most likely) be detrimental to your performance.

In case you dont believe me http://www.sports-fitness-advisor.co...-training.html

No offense david, you seem like an intelligent guy and probably know your stuff but getting mere size doesnt really help boxers. Rugby & football linemen on the other hand...
          Last edited by Landon S; 07-15-2008, 01:11 AM.

Comment

Agreed with the above. Stay off of isolation exercises unless there is one specific muscle that you think you're weak on.

Stick with the big three: squats, cleans, and deadlifts. These will give you everything you need for boxing -- explosive power, coordination, and balance. I like to do weighted sit-ups and back levers, but that's just me. I do one day of each of the above when I'm training. Usually 1-2 days per week, and boxing training the other days, with Sundays off. So one week I'll do a day of squats and a day of power cleans, the next week maybe just one day of deadlifts, the next week a day of squats (or full cleans, but never both squats and full cleans the same week -- my knees can't handle it.) You get the idea.

Comment

Weights make you slow and they are for bums. Alot of modern techniqes are bollocks and have nothing to do with boxing. All this strenght and conditioning coach stuff is crap. Like Roger Mayweather said, most of it has nothing to do with boxing, ie. it is not sport specific training.

No old school trainer will tell you to do weights. Fat Hatton did weights and he ain't no speedy Gonzales. Alot of the all time greats stayed away from wieghts. Usually the more fluid fighters are weights free and I don't think this ia a coincidence. Ali and Jones Jr used no weights.

Comment

get big and jacked and worry about coordination and endurance later

Comment

Originally posted by GreyAlien View Post
                  get big and jacked and worry about coordination and endurance later
                  Being "big and jacked" doesnt mean you can pack a punch.

Comment

Originally posted by Rafael Benitez View Post
                    No old school trainer will tell you to do weights
                    Keyword=OLD

We dont live in caves anymore and so we do things a different way. Old school methods produce fine fighters but you can always hit harder. Also all the all-time greats trained old school because that was how that period trained, that was the only way taught so of course they didnt lift. Floyd lifts weights but he sure as hell isnt slow. Low reps develop the fast twitch muscle fibers so how does it make you slow huh?

Theres nothing wrong with bodyweight exercises, theres many that stimulate strength as well. Do a 1 arm pullup (I can, can you raphael? lol), full planche pushups, or pistols (They all have weightlifting rivals as well). The only problem is after a while you may be able to do 20 reps, mostly targeting endurance. How will you get stronger then? GASP OMG NO! IT CANT BE! you have to add weight. Only way to do that without going up a weightclass is adding weight or weights.

Comment

Working...
                    X