People must be blind when it comes to Chavez vs. Whitaker

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
    [/B]

I agree. Whitaker-Jose Luis Ramirez 1 was worse. The fact that they scored that one for Ramirez made it the worse I have ever seen.
    Damn you said before I did

Comment

Originally posted by Terrible... View Post
      Dwiens made a thread very similar to this one quite a while back and he echoed exactly the same points you raised that is was a close fight and not a robbery that it is made out to be
      Calling it a close fight is a stretch, to be honest. But it wasn't wide enough of a win for Sweet Pea that you could call it a robbery.

Comment

Originally posted by K-Nan View Post
        Calling it a close fight is a stretch, to be honest. But it wasn't wide enough of a win for Sweet Pea that you could call it a robbery.
        not close lets say competitive but a clear win for Whitaker

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...light=whitaker

Comment

How can it NOT be a robbery? JCC was getting the jabed popped in his face all day. Whitaker was also beating him up on the inside and landed some mean left straights.

Comment

Not nearly as competitive as Whitaker vs McGirt/ Hurtado that is for sure. ****, I honestly, don't even think it was competive. JCC just culdn't land much on him.

Comment

Originally posted by El Dominicano View Post
              Worst robbery in the history of the sport is Whitaker vs JLR. Imagine getting beat every round and NOT be competitive in any...then winning the fight. By the way, I gave JCC 4 rounds and sorry, I still gotta say JCC got schooled.
              the Whitaker-Ramirez fight was a horrible robbery, I have no idea how that even happened. but its not incredibly uncommon for an ATG to get robbed in his first title shot, has happened to others before.

maybe we just have a different definition of what schooled is. When I hear schooled, I think something like Hopkins-Pavlik or Calzaghe-Lacyish. the only two rounds that Chavez actually lost hugely were the 7th and 8th rounds, the rest he was definately in the fight, even if he was losing.

I dont know how you get schooled if you only lose by two rounds. did Leonard get schooled by Duran by losing to him by more than 2 rounds? did Whitaker himself get schooled by Trinidad, even though he lost by more than two rounds?
              I say no to both.

Comment

How can it NOT be a robbery? JCC was getting the jabed popped in his face all day. Whitaker was also beating him up on the inside and landed some mean left straights.
                cause you only need 6 rounds for a draw in a 12 round fight and Chavez had 4 of them in the bank and arguably more
                Last edited by Dynamite Kid; 11-03-2008, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Not nearly as competitive as Whitaker vs McGirt/ Hurtado that is for sure. ****, I honestly, don't even think it was competive. JCC just culdn't land much on him.
                  Hurtado was years after the Chavez fight...and the McGirt fight I had Pernell winning about 116-112, which is more or less the same score as in the Chavez fight (which I scored 116-113). so those two fights were pretty much equally competitive.
                  McGirt got dominated in the rematch though.

Originally posted by K-Nan View Post
                  I thought it was clearly a robbery, because although it was competitive, everyone knew Pernell clearly won. if everyone agrees that the other fighter deserved the win, its a robbery.

Comment

Originally posted by blackirish137 View Post
                    the Whitaker-Ramirez fight was a horrible robbery, I have no idea how that even happened. but its not incredibly uncommon for an ATG to get robbed in his first title shot, has happened to others before.

maybe we just have a different definition of what schooled is. When I hear schooled, I think something like Hopkins-Pavlik or Calzaghe-Lacyish. the only two rounds that Chavez actually lost hugely were the 7th and 8th rounds, the rest he was definately in the fight, even if he was losing.

I dont know how you get schooled if you only lose by two rounds. did Leonard get schooled by Duran by losing to him by more than 2 rounds? did Whitaker himself get schooled by Trinidad, even though he lost by more than two rounds?
                    I say no to both.
                    I understand what your saying but our definition of schooled might be a lil different. Its just that I didn't see JCC land much, I saw him chasing Whitaker around while get the jab popped in his face, hit with left straighs and EVEN getting beat on the inside and against the ropes which had me thinking DAMN. JCC took too many body shots by Whitaker and at times I thought it seemed as if tough Whitaker and JCC switched places...Whitaker was the guy landing the body shots. Honestly, I think JCC lost hope in winning you could see it in his face in the later rounds and his stamina was out

Comment

I've seen much worse than this (especially since it was a draw) but...that was a robbery. 8-4 clearly IMO.

Chavez had a good first two rounds but, after that, you could hear a pin drop in that arena for the next eight. Whitaker did a number on him. Considering the magnitude of the fight, the crowd reaction and even Chavez himself (initially), they all knew who won the fight. That makes it a robbery.

Comment

Working...
                      X