• Show
Clear All

• Roach expects mental war

Just wanna share this with you guys...

----------------------------------------

Roach expects mental war
    By Joaquin Henson
    The Philippine Star 01/02/2005

Renowned trainer Freddie Roach is expecting a tactical fight when International Boxing Federation and World Boxing Association featherweight champion Juan Manuel Marquez stakes his crowns against Manny Pacquiao on Feb. 26, tentatively in Las Vegas.

During his recent Manila visit, Roach said he respects Marquez’ intelligence and knows the Mexican won’t make the same mistakes he did in holding Pacquiao to a split 12-round draw last May.

That’s why the first thing Roach plans to do when Pacquiao arrives in Los Angeles on Jan. 8 is to break down film of Marquez’ bouts on TV and figure out a strategy to outwit him.

Roach said developing a killer right is something he’s exploring in the gym to throw off Marquez’ defense. It was Pacquiao’s left that dropped Marquez thrice in the first round of their first meeting and Roach is certain the Mexican will be prepared to defend against it in the rematch.

"Marquez is a very intelligent fighter and a technician," said Roach. "He’s a thinking fighter. We’ll come up with a lot of new things to keep him guessing."

Roach hinted that Pacquiao will surprise Marquez, a slick counterpuncher, with new tricks.

"Marquez thinks Manny will come out smoking like he always does so he’ll be prepared for that," said Roach. "Maybe, Manny won’t be as aggressive at the start as in the past. Maybe, he’ll box a little more. Maybe, he’ll use the right more than the left."

Roach would’ve preferred Pacquiao to start training for Marquez before the turn of the year.

"If you ask me, Manny should begin training for Marquez the day after Christmas," he said. "There are no holidays in boxing. We work on Christmas day."

But Pacquiao decided to leave Manila for Los Angeles on Jan. 8. He will arrive in Manila from General Santos City on Jan. 3.

How much time Roach will spend with Pacquiao is a question mark since he is committed to work with Mike Tyson, too. Tyson plans to fight in March.

Roach said Pacquiao is like Tyson in that they both pack a wallop and work hard in the gym.

"I like Mike," said Roach. "He gives me no trouble. He’s got a great sense of humor."

Once, Tyson accidentally hit Roach with a left hook to the jaw during a punch-mitt workout. "He missed the mitt and got me on the jaw," recalled Roach. "Believe me, I saw stars. But I didn’t go down. I guess I can take a punch."

Roach said he never imagined the Philippines to be the paradise it is before coming for his first visit last month.

"Some guys told me I’ll be killed in Davao, that I should insist on training Manny in Manila," said Roach. "But I took the chance and I don’t regret it. I love the Philippines and the Filipino people. I did a lot of things in Davao and General Santos City, other than train Manny. I went to a cockfight once and I lost about P5,000. I met new friends, too."

Former World Boxing Council secretary-general Rudy Salud sponsored a two-day clinic for Roach to share his experience in boxing with local trainers, fighters and ring officials at the Ninoy Aquino Stadium during his trip. The clinic was a huge success and Roach said he’d like to do a repeat.

In a KO Magazine interview, Pacquiao told writer Ted Lerner why he clicks with Roach.

"Since I’ve been with (Roach), I’ve developed faster footwork and more head movement," said Pacquiao. "He’s helped me with my defense, too. Before, I’d lower my hands but now I always have my hands up. One technique that Freddie taught me were those breathing exercises, learning how to relax, inhaling properly, not too abrupt.

"Unlike other trainers, Freddie teaches everything step by step. He doesn’t cram all the techniques into one session. Besides that, Freddie treats me like his own son. He’s a good guy and he’s very kind to me and he’s passionate about me."

As for Marquez, Pacquiao said, "I look forward to fighting (him) again. I’m not going to say it’s going to be a knockout because it’s difficult to predict the outcome. I just want to put on a good show and make the people happy."

Pacquiao said Marquez was lucky in their first fight. "If my left (hand) wasn’t hurting, I would have knocked him out," he continued. "I never got demoralized when I saw him getting stronger. I’m a different kind of fighter. The more I’m in pain, the more determined I want to be a better fighter, to beat my opponent. My philosophy in fighting is that the only way I’m going to lose is to be knocked out. Surrender is never an option for me no matter how much pain I’m in."

Roach said he’s sure Pacquiao will beat Marquez in the return fight.

"Marquez gave everything he had in the first fight and couldn’t beat Manny," noted Roach. "I don’t think he can show anything more. But Manny was just half a man that night because of his injured left hand and blistered left foot. There’s no way Marquez can beat Manny if he’s 100 percent."
    Last edited by JaNnO; 01-02-2005, 05:54 PM.

Thanks for the story

Comment

I wonder what happened to Roach and that girl he was dating.

Comment

Originally posted by Chupacola
        Yeah right.hehehe... chismoso.

Comment

Originally posted by Chupacola
          maganda ba tsong?

Comment

Originally posted by JaNnO
            Just wanna share this to you guys...

----------------------------------------

Roach expects mental war
            By Joaquin Henson
            The Philippine Star 01/02/2005

Renowned trainer Freddie Roach is expecting a tactical fight when International Boxing Federation and World Boxing Association featherweight champion Juan Manuel Marquez stakes his crowns against Manny Pacquiao on Feb. 26, tentatively in Las Vegas.

During his recent Manila visit, Roach said he respects Marquez’ intelligence and knows the Mexican won’t make the same mistakes he did in holding Pacquiao to a split 12-round draw last May.

That’s why the first thing Roach plans to do when Pacquiao arrives in Los Angeles on Jan. 8 is to break down film of Marquez’ bouts on TV and figure out a strategy to outwit him.

Roach said developing a killer right is something he’s exploring in the gym to throw off Marquez’ defense. It was Pacquiao’s left that dropped Marquez thrice in the first round of their first meeting and Roach is certain the Mexican will be prepared to defend against it in the rematch.

"Marquez is a very intelligent fighter and a technician," said Roach. "He’s a thinking fighter. We’ll come up with a lot of new things to keep him guessing."

Roach hinted that Pacquiao will surprise Marquez, a slick counterpuncher, with new tricks.

"Marquez thinks Manny will come out smoking like he always does so he’ll be prepared for that," said Roach. "Maybe, Manny won’t be as aggressive at the start as in the past. Maybe, he’ll box a little more. Maybe, he’ll use the right more than the left."

Roach would’ve preferred Pacquiao to start training for Marquez before the turn of the year.

"If you ask me, Manny should begin training for Marquez the day after Christmas," he said. "There are no holidays in boxing. We work on Christmas day."

But Pacquiao decided to leave Manila for Los Angeles on Jan. 8. He will arrive in Manila from General Santos City on Jan. 3.

How much time Roach will spend with Pacquiao is a question mark since he is committed to work with Mike Tyson, too. Tyson plans to fight in March.

Roach said Pacquiao is like Tyson in that they both pack a wallop and work hard in the gym.

"I like Mike," said Roach. "He gives me no trouble. He’s got a great sense of humor."

Once, Tyson accidentally hit Roach with a left hook to the jaw during a punch-mitt workout. "He missed the mitt and got me on the jaw," recalled Roach. "Believe me, I saw stars. But I didn’t go down. I guess I can take a punch."

Roach said he never imagined the Philippines to be the paradise it is before coming for his first visit last month.

"Some guys told me I’ll be killed in Davao, that I should insist on training Manny in Manila," said Roach. "But I took the chance and I don’t regret it. I love the Philippines and the Filipino people. I did a lot of things in Davao and General Santos City, other than train Manny. I went to a cockfight once and I lost about P5,000. I met new friends, too."

Former World Boxing Council secretary-general Rudy Salud sponsored a two-day clinic for Roach to share his experience in boxing with local trainers, fighters and ring officials at the Ninoy Aquino Stadium during his trip. The clinic was a huge success and Roach said he’d like to do a repeat.

In a KO Magazine interview, Pacquiao told writer Ted Lerner why he clicks with Roach.

"Since I’ve been with (Roach), I’ve developed faster footwork and more head movement," said Pacquiao. "He’s helped me with my defense, too. Before, I’d lower my hands but now I always have my hands up. One technique that Freddie taught me were those breathing exercises, learning how to relax, inhaling properly, not too abrupt.

"Unlike other trainers, Freddie teaches everything step by step. He doesn’t cram all the techniques into one session. Besides that, Freddie treats me like his own son. He’s a good guy and he’s very kind to me and he’s passionate about me."

As for Marquez, Pacquiao said, "I look forward to fighting (him) again. I’m not going to say it’s going to be a knockout because it’s difficult to predict the outcome. I just want to put on a good show and make the people happy."

Pacquiao said Marquez was lucky in their first fight. "If my left (hand) wasn’t hurting, I would have knocked him out," he continued. "I never got demoralized when I saw him getting stronger. I’m a different kind of fighter. The more I’m in pain, the more determined I want to be a better fighter, to beat my opponent. My philosophy in fighting is that the only way I’m going to lose is to be knocked out. Surrender is never an option for me no matter how much pain I’m in."

Roach said he’s sure Pacquiao will beat Marquez in the return fight.

"Marquez gave everything he had in the first fight and couldn’t beat Manny," noted Roach. "I don’t think he can show anything more. But Manny was just half a man that night because of his injured left hand and blistered left foot. There’s no way Marquez can beat Manny if he’s 100 percent."
            you can see the confedence in Pac and Roach here. i realy feel like they have some BIG surprise for JMM this Feb 26.

Comment

Originally posted by czars_salad
              maganda ba tsong?

Wasn't she just around in her early 20's? She's just OK. Saw her pic at pacland.

Comment

News like this keeps the hope of a lot of people alive, despite reading Recah Trinidad's columns saying Pacman is not yet in serious training!

Comment

Originally posted by elveiel
                  Thanks for the story
                  you're welcome, dude!

Comment

Everything is mental.

Manny knows he can't simply knock out Marquez. Whatever MP does, it would surely come from his brain, not just his fists.

Comment

Working...
                    X