No announcement yet.

Like Gerry Cooney, Chris Arreola is Overcome

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Like Gerry Cooney, Chris Arreola is Overcome

by T.K. Stewart - It might well have been June 11, 1982 all over again.

If you were around back then, and if you remember, it was on that evening that Gerry Cooney challenged Larry Holmes for the WBC heavyweight championship of the world.

In the brutal heat of the Las Vegas night, in the parking lot behind Caesars Palace, it was Cooney that was rescued from the fists of the "Easton Assassin" when his cornerman, Victor Valle, Sr., stepped into the ring in the 13th round to save his man from further abuse.

Cooney would later commandeer the ring microphone and address the crowd of 29,214. Through the blood, sweat and tears that streamed down his giant Irish face, he said, over and over, "I'm sorry." [details]

It's a good(ish) comparison, but not really accurate except for the finish. Cooney dealt out tremendous punishment to Larry ?Holmes for many rounds before Homes began to get on top. This didn't happen with Klitchko-Arreola.

On another point, the height and reach advantage for Klitschko was roughly 3inches for each category, and, with good fighters, normally makes little difference. An 80" reach for a huge man like Klitschko is not excessive, in fact many fighters who are shorter, have longer arms than he. Liston was only about 6' or so and had, I think, an 84"-85" reach.

It was just as Klitschko said, in his usual, gentlemanly way, that he knew exactly how to make the best use of his attributes. He had the experience {as well as the expertise and talent}. Arreola had the bravery, and little else going up against such a formidable champion. Against lesser fighters he does very well.

Klitschko's a tall fighter who knows EXACTLY how to fight tall when he wants to. And he's extremely accurate, and with much faster feet and hands than he looks at a casual glance.

Comment

Arreola is still a good fighter. . .

He has a lot of work to do but I think he can challenge for the Championship one day and take it. He has all the tools of a champion. I hope he doesn't get too emotional over this and gets back to work as soon as possible. He has quite a bit more to learn. Heart doesn't win fights. Skills and heart do. If he's able to brush the dirt off his shoulders and get back into the thick of it, in a couple more years, he'll be ready again.
      He's only 28. He's good.

Comment

Originally posted by edgarg View Post
        It's a good(ish) comparison, but not really accurate except for the finish. Cooney dealt out tremendous punishment to Larry ?Holmes for many rounds before Homes began to get on top. This didn't happen with Klitchko-Arreola.

On another point, the height and reach advantage for Klitschko was roughly 3inches for each category, and, with good fighters, normally makes little difference. An 80" reach for a huge man like Klitschko is not excessive, in fact many fighters who are shorter, have longer arms than he. Liston was only about 6' or so and had, I think, an 84"-85" reach.

It was just as Klitschko said, in his usual, gentlemanly way, that he knew exactly how to make the best use of his attributes. He had the experience {as well as the expertise and talent}. Arreola had the bravery, and little else going up against such a formidable champion. Against lesser fighters he does very well.

Klitschko's a tall fighter who knows EXACTLY how to fight tall when he wants to. And he's extremely accurate, and with much faster feet and hands than he looks at a casual glance.
        Vitali's arm length was listed as 29 inches by the HBO which is very long.

I agree otherwise though. Cooney put up a good effort while Arreola simply showed courage but the fight was no more competitive than Larry Holmes vs Randall 'Tex' Cobb to be completely honest. In some of the rounds Arreola hardly even threw any punches.

Comment

Damn, think we'll ever see a fight here in america with over 29000 people in attendance?

Comment

Originally posted by edgarg View Post

Damn what fight were you watching? Holmes beat Cooney to a pulp from the 2nd to 13th rd. He landed some good shots but Holmes was never in any danger of being hurt or losing a round.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
              Vitali's arm length was listed as 29 inches by the HBO which is very long.

I agree otherwise though. Cooney put up a good effort while Arreola simply showed courage but the fight was no more competitive than Larry Holmes vs Randall 'Tex' Cobb to be completely honest. In some of the rounds Arreola hardly even threw any punches.
              Better comparison.

Comment

Vitali would have given any fighter in history problems, Arreola would not have been the only fighter to lose in a lop-sided decision win for Vitali. I think the majority of the time skillful fighters like Vitali, Floyd, Ali will lots of times have one-sided wins on their resumes because of their skill-levels being so high.

Comment

thats a good comparison i can see arreola becoming a depressed alcoholic instead of losing weight....

Comment

Cooney was a better fighter to me. Weaker chin though.

Comment

Working...
                    X