Cotto Can't Have His Cake And Eat It Too

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cotto Can't Have His Cake And Eat It Too

Cotto can't have his cake and eat it too
    August 9, 9:11 PM Indianapolis Fight Sports Examiner Dennis "dSource" Guillermo

If Miguel Cotto really wants a piece of the Pacquiao cake, he's either going to have to take it or let it be. What Cotto wants however is to take the cake and eat it as well.

It's a simple dilemma really. Cotto wants to fight Pacquiao for the money a fight with Boxing's cash cow presents but doesn't want to stake his WBO welterweight crown in the process.

Well, something's got to give. And if Cotto is truly as confident as he says in knocking Pacquiao out then I don't see why he has to be so stingy with his "ABC" belt.

Is it a matter of principle?

Cotto has volunteered to relinquish his belt if the WBO insists that he put it on the line against the Pacman. In Cotto's opinion, belts should not be accorded to fights fought at a catch-weight.

In reality however, such occurances have happened in the past. When Oscar De la Hoya fought Bernard Hopkins in 2004, they fought at a catch-weight of 158, two pounds below the middleweight limit with Hopkins' titles on the line as well as De la Hoya's. Sugar Ray Leonard won two titles against Donny Lalonde in 1988 at a catch-weight. The list goes on.

I am not saying Cotto is wrong in his stand but if he truly feels so all he has to do is "just say no".

Pardon me for that unnecessary childhood flashback, I was simply making a point. (you have to give me props though from finding that in the archives and getting a spanish translation at that for Cotto lol)

Let's face it, Pacquiao has the "aces" when it comes to the negotiating table by virtue of being the best pound-for-pound fighter in the sport and currently the biggest money fight in boxing. Well, Pacquiao has decided to play his cards and all Cotto has left to do is put up or shut up. Pacquiao has options, Miguel needs to pick his. In poker terms, he can go "all-in" or "fold". Enough of all this posturing. 145 is a fair catch-weight for both men. Cotto is definitely much bigger than Pacman. Two pounds isn't a lot of weight either.

So what's it gonna be Miguel?

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-1...and-eat-it-too

Yeah but the whole SRL- Lalonde 2 divisional titles in one fight thing was a farce even by todays 3 WBA champions per division rules.

Comment

Every fighter is different just because hopkins, sugar, and chavez did it. It doesn't mean that cotto has to do it.pacquiao is getting 65%, title, home turf, and lower weight limits.

Comment

I dont know who he hell Cotto thinks he is...

Comment

Here we go again...

the bitching, moaning, crying, and tantrums

pull will get upset again

Comment

C'mon...Pac's got the weight restriction, purse, venue all on his side. All Cotto has said is if you want to fight for the title, don't put a restriction on the weight limit.

But chill, Cotto's having his cake and eating it too? SMH...

Comment

Originally posted by Lady Fan 2 View Post
              Cotto can't have his cake and eat it too
              August 9, 9:11 PM Indianapolis Fight Sports Examiner Dennis "dSource" Guillermo

If Miguel Cotto really wants a piece of the Pacquiao cake, he's either going to have to take it or let it be. What Cotto wants however is to take the cake and eat it as well.

It's a simple dilemma really. Cotto wants to fight Pacquiao for the money a fight with Boxing's cash cow presents but doesn't want to stake his WBO welterweight crown in the process.

Well, something's got to give. And if Cotto is truly as confident as he says in knocking Pacquiao out then I don't see why he has to be so stingy with his "ABC" belt.

Is it a matter of principle?

Cotto has volunteered to relinquish his belt if the WBO insists that he put it on the line against the Pacman. In Cotto's opinion, belts should not be accorded to fights fought at a catch-weight.

In reality however, such occurances have happened in the past. When Oscar De la Hoya fought Bernard Hopkins in 2004, they fought at a catch-weight of 158, two pounds below the middleweight limit with Hopkins' titles on the line as well as De la Hoya's. Sugar Ray Leonard won two titles against Donny Lalonde in 1988 at a catch-weight. The list goes on.

I am not saying Cotto is wrong in his stand but if he truly feels so all he has to do is "just say no".

Pardon me for that unnecessary childhood flashback, I was simply making a point. (you have to give me props though from finding that in the archives and getting a spanish translation at that for Cotto lol)

Let's face it, Pacquiao has the "aces" when it comes to the negotiating table by virtue of being the best pound-for-pound fighter in the sport and currently the biggest money fight in boxing. Well, Pacquiao has decided to play his cards and all Cotto has left to do is put up or shut up. Pacquiao has options, Miguel needs to pick his. In poker terms, he can go "all-in" or "fold". Enough of all this posturing. 145 is a fair catch-weight for both men. Cotto is definitely much bigger than Pacman. Two pounds isn't a lot of weight either.So what's it gonna be Miguel?

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-1...and-eat-it-too
              I love the last 2 idiot sentences. So we must assume this "writer" is a former boxer?? Probably not ! lol

Comment

Originally posted by Ravishing View Post
                C'mon...Pac's got the weight restriction, purse, venue all on his side. All Cotto has said is if you want to fight for the title, don't put a restriction on the weight limit.

But chill, Cotto's having his cake and eating it too? SMH...
                People seem to forget that Pacquiao is the one that CHANGED his mind and wanted fight to be a title fight. Let's make it a "real" match and not a "sucker" match......147 AND TITLE?
                Never mind, i forgot Pacquiao is afraid of 147.

Comment

Originally posted by rob6465 View Post
                  I love the last 2 idiot sentences. So we must assume this "writer" is a former boxer?? Probably not ! lol
                  more to come

Comment

I say while we are at it, why doesn't Pacquiao impose that cotto not use a trainer or cutman or Cotto cannot go to the body or if cotto is winning any round, fight will be stopped. This is not a welterweight bout, it's a circus. Where is AL sharpton?

Comment

Working...
                    X