No announcement yet.

I Really Like Adrien Broner...but...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Really Like Adrien Broner...but...

I really like this kid. I keep hearing the comparisons to Mayweather but a) I don't think he'll be as good as Mayweather (hope I'm wrong) & b) I think he's a lot nicer/more fun/more rounded human being/easier to swallow than Mayweather.

And his post fight interview last weekend just confirmed my views.....

EXCEPT for the fact that he said he wouldn't fight Burns in the UK. The great fighters, the REALLY great fighters, are not afraid to to fight anywhere. I know that Vegas is the capital of world boxing but there's no greater atmosphere in sport than a UK crowd.

He & Burns in Glasgow or Edinburgh would be fantastic. Burns doesn't have the following of a Hatton or Khan to get crowds in the US but the Jocks would turn out in droves to support their man at home. I think they'd easily sell out Hampden Park and a Broner win in front of 50,000 Scotsman would be a huge bump to his legacy.

He's afraid he's going to get robbed in the UK. I'm not sure who's a bigger draw but I'm fairly certain Burns is. But HBO equates to a lot of viewers I guess.

And he's obviously not as good as Floyd but I find him to be exciting as he's willing to exchange and show strong solid defense. He won't get past 140 undefeated, I'll tell you that though. But that can be a good thing for his career.

Comment

The great fighters, the REALLY great fighters, are not afraid to to fight anywhere.
      Sugar Ray Leonard, an all time great, traveled outside of the US just once. That was to fight Roberto Duran in Canada. Not a fighter in his hometown.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
        Sugar Ray Leonard, an all time great, traveled outside of the US just once. That was to fight Roberto Duran in Canada. Not a fighter in his hometown.
        Leonard arguably my favourite US fighter.

I think a lot of that was down to economics. The UK was messed up when he fought Dave Green & there were so many great US based fighters that he just didn't need to. Nowadays the world is a lot smaller & boxing is a minor sport in the US.

Back when Leonard was champ, he & other boxers were regularly on commercials. Not any more.

Making a global brand is very important & boxing is a bigger sport in the UK than in the US. And British fans tend to adopt great American fighters (or other countries). If Broner beats Burns (in the UK) & acts classy he'll have a load more fans buying his ppv than if Burns has to travel to the US for the bout.

Personally, I'd rather the fight was in Florida so I can watch it but Broner would earn so much more respect it he fought Burns in Scotland.

Comment

Hopefully he changes his mind

Comment

Burns ducked him once already. I don't see why Broner should have to go over there.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
              Burns ducked him once already. I don't see why Broner should have to go over there.
              Stop being hysterical. Burns couldn't make the weight anymore & had to move up. He's huge at Lightweight & was killing himself at Super Feather.

Come on, Shoulder Roll, real boxing fans don't need to do this. Respect the men that get in the ring.

Comment

Originally posted by taansend View Post
                Stop being hysterical. Burns couldn't make the weight anymore & had to move up. He's huge at Lightweight & was killing himself at Super Feather.

Come on, Shoulder Roll, real boxing fans don't need to do this. Respect the men that get in the ring.
                He's a troll? Fitting, with those little red karma messages hes sending me.

Comment

Broner has no business or need to fight Burns in the UK, yes it's a fight I would like to see, but I don't want an American getting robbed over there. I see Broner easily getting a KO win, but you never know what can happen (ref calls a BS DQ). Nobody outside the UK even knows who the hell Burns is, only Burns we know here is Montgomery Burns. Tell homeboy to come to the US and get his ass whopping here.

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
                    Broner has no business or need to fight Burns in the UK, yes it's a fight I would like to see, but I don't want an American getting robbed over there. I see Broner easily getting a KO win, but you never know what can happen (ref calls a BS DQ). Nobody outside the UK even knows who the hell Burns is, only Burns we know here is Montgomery Burns. Tell homeboy to come to the US and get his ass whopping here.
                    Whilst I would have Broner a favourite in this fight (or any fight at Lightweight) there's just as much chance that Burns would get robbed in the US as vice versa.

Please don't get sucked into the myth that America is the home of fairness.

Comment

Working...
                    X