Richard Steele's Call on Chavez-Taylor I

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Richard Steele's Call on Chavez-Taylor I

I can't believe that.

Taylor had it won, even with that knockdown. I find it to be completely unbelievable that he did that, and to be quite honest unforgivable.

There was like 2 seconds left in the fight, and he decided to stop it... Wow
    bad stoppage he could've made it for the last 2 seconds
    50.00%
    no it was a good stoppage taylor was badly hurt
    50.00%

It was a good stoppage, Taylor wasn't responding right

Comment

I'm undecided on this. It's not really up to the ref to know the time but, then again Meldrick deserved the decision easily so it's really unfair to him.

JCC has a lot of odd discrepencies on his record.

Comment

I never really cared for Richard as a ref. He always got more involved than he needed to be IMO.

Comment

Taylor didn't respond to Steele when he asked "are you ok? can you continue?" He looked over Steele's ear. Now WE know that he was looking at his corner for instructions, but if you're Steele in that instance, you have to work under the assumption that he's so scrambled that he doesn't even realize that you're there. Couple that with the fact that it's not Steele's job to be timekeeper and I think it's a valid stoppage. If it was five years earlier and a 15 rounder, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

Comment

Its one of the biggest crimes in boxing as far as I"m concerned. He basically ruined Taylor's life.

Comment

Originally posted by young_robbed View Post
              I can't believe that.

Taylor had it won, even with that knockdown. I find it to be completely unbelievable that he did that, and to be quite honest unforgivable.

There was like 2 seconds left in the fight, and he decided to stop it... Wow
              I've always felt the same way and I always will.

Comment

Originally posted by Bastian Loc View Post
                Its one of the biggest crimes in boxing as far as I"m concerned. He basically ruined Taylor's life.
                So Meldrick Taylor's body would have recovered better if he won a decision? What? Taylor was winning the fight, but he came out with injuries consistent with a serious car crash.

Comment

Originally posted by BigStereotype View Post
                  Taylor didn't respond to Steele when he asked "are you ok? can you continue?" He looked over Steele's ear. Now WE know that he was looking at his corner for instructions, but if you're Steele in that instance, you have to work under the assumption that he's so scrambled that he doesn't even realize that you're there. Couple that with the fact that it's not Steele's job to be timekeeper and I think it's a valid stoppage. If it was five years earlier and a 15 rounder, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.
                  Steel knew how much time was left as a referee is supposed too. When there are 10 seconds left in the round referees are notified of this. That "timekeeper" excuse" doesn't cut it. And the 15 round analogy is irrelevant. It wasn't a 15 round fight. Steele did a lot of things wrong in that sequence and stopping the fight was one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by BigStereotype View Post
                    So Meldrick Taylor's body would have recovered better if he won a decision? What? Taylor was winning the fight, but he came out with injuries consistent with a serious car crash.
                    I'm talking about the ramifications that it had on his boxing career for "losing" the fight on paper.

Comment

Working...
                    X