Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the most important criteria for scoring a fight to you?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clean punches obviously is the most important, defense is really more a tactic used to prevent your opponent from scoring not really something you can win rounds off of yourself.

I have never heard anyone being given around on the basis that they slipped that punch, let their opponent tee off hitting their gloves and elbows, then initiated a clench.

Comment

Originally posted by Spray_resistant View Post
      Clean punches obviously is the most important, defense is really more a tactic used to prevent your opponent from scoring not really something you can win rounds off of yourself.

I have never heard anyone being given around on the basis that they slipped that punch, let their opponent tee off hitting their gloves and elbows, then initiated a clench.
      I think Willie Pep won a round on all judges scorecards without throwing a punch, but then again i never saw that, only seen about 4 or 5 of his fights.

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS206 View Post
        they are all equally as important.

You can land clean effective punches but if the other guy is controlling the ring generalship, effective aggressiveness and defense, you lose.
        Exactly.

Whoever got the upper hand in the fight doing what he's doing (Effective aggression, Clean Punching, Good counter etc) gets the round.

Comment

Marketability...

Comment

Yes, clean. Thank god we've got compubox.

Comment

Originally posted by AllEyesOpen View Post
              I think Willie Pep won a round on all judges scorecards without throwing a punch, but then again i never saw that, only seen about 4 or 5 of his fights.
              I heard of that too, but defense gets nothing from me in terms of scoring.....technically running around the ring would qualify as a defensive tactic and I have never heard that behavior referred to positively in conversations about fights forget about justification for scoring in favor of a fighter for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Spray_resistant View Post
                I heard of that too, but defense gets nothing from me in terms of scoring.....technically running around the ring would qualify as a defensive tactic and I have never heard that behavior referred to positively in conversations about fights forget about justification for scoring in favor of a fighter for it.
                True, but then again i doubt he would have won that round if he was just running. BUt we've never seen this round so i can't really comment, just wanted to bring it up.

I think Defense is an important part of scoring cause it tends to be the defense that helps open up clean shots. Continuing to use Martinez/Williams as an example, Martinez would slip a shot and fire back a counter. I take defense into account but not running and completely avoiding confrontation.

What i have seen as a trend is people taking ineffective aggression and scoring it as though it was effective, if your shots are being blocked or slipped constantly then your aggression isn't effective.

Comment

Agression mixed with clean punches.

Comment

clean blows, ring generalship, and defense.

Comment

Originally posted by AllEyesOpen View Post
                      True, but then again i doubt he would have won that round if he was just running. BUt we've never seen this round so i can't really comment, just wanted to bring it up.

I think Defense is an important part of scoring cause it tends to be the defense that helps open up clean shots. Continuing to use Martinez/Williams as an example, Martinez would slip a shot and fire back a counter. I take defense into account but not running and completely avoiding confrontation.

What i have seen as a trend is people taking ineffective aggression and scoring it as though it was effective, if your shots are being blocked or slipped constantly then your aggression isn't effective.
                      Its mostly about clean punches and causing damage, Martinez's counters qualify as clean punches not defense because if he slipped Paul's shots but didn't land any of his own there is nothing to score really.

Defense is important as a tactic but all alone without offense isn't worth anything, while offense without defense can score for a fighter even if it will most likely shorten his career long term.

Comment

Working...
                      X