Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Burns Vs Mitchell : Head to Head (BoxNation)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ashley Theophane (London light-welter)
    : I’ve watched Kevin spar and he’s a top quality fighter but I have to go with Ricky Burns on points in a great fight because he’s more proven at world level. He’s also in his home town.
    Each fight he steps his level up a notch, gets better and better. He’s had far greater experience at the very top flight and he’s always come through those tough fights.

Scott Quigg (British superbantam champion)
    : Much as I’d like Kevin to win, I think Ricky Burns will be too big and will apply too much pressure, even though he’s viewed as a boxer-mover.
    I’ve always rated Kevin but Burns has improved so much, technically and confidence wise, since he beat Roman Martinez. Burns has also got the better engine and that’ll see him edge it over the late rounds. Burns on points in a good ‘un.

Jim Watt (ex world lightweight champion): A safe prediction is that it’ll be a good fight because both are always in good fights.
    No doubt Kevin will try and get close, turn it into more of a brawl but Ricky’s proved how tough he is, even in those fights he lost to Alex Arthur and Carl Johanneson. Over the years he’s really learned to utilise his physical advantages, that height and reach. I think he has the style to confuse and upset Kevin from long range. I go with Burns on points.

Kell Brook (world class welterweight): It’ll be a really good fight for the Scottish fans to enjoy.
    Ricky Burns has shown himself to be really consistent over his last few fights but if Kevin Mitchell turns up 100%, like he did against John Murray, I think he’ll beat Burns. He’s very exciting can really punch and is also a very good boxer when he chooses to be. I wouldn’t be completely surprised if Kevin stops him but it’ll more likely be a points job.

Steve Collins (ex world middle and super-middle champion): I like Ricky Burns on points or late stoppage in a very good fight. He’s been around longer, has more big fight experience and has been very impressive in his most recent fights. I don’t think Kevin Mitchell looks as strong as Ricky.

Paul Smith (Liverpool super-middle)
    : Tough one, mate. Two great lads and two very, very good fighters. I’m expecting a chess match rather than them going toe-to-toe. Kevin’s got a great jab, possibly the best of any British fighter active at the moment.
    Kevin’s obviously had some personal problems but hopefully they’re sorted. He seems rejuvenated of late. I think he’s probably got a bit more power and quality than anybody that Ricky Burns has fought before. He whacks really hard and Ricky’s been over a few times before.
    It’s going to be a close one but I sense Kevin will be a bit too strong and powerful. If he catches him with a clean shot he might even put him away.

Richie Woodhall (ex world super-middle champion): It’ll be a great fight between two of the very best in the division. Proper fighters. Too many others just avoid each other but these two both deserve respect for stepping up.
    Ricky Burns has improved out of recognition since first winning a world title and the Scottish crowd should help him no end. They could also make him tense.
    I’m going for Kevin Mitchell on points. I was so impressed with him against John Murray and I think he might want it a bit more.

Rendall Munroe (ex world superbantam challenger)
    : I think it’ll be a brilliant fight. Kevin’s aggression against Ricky’s smooth boxing.
    Kevin Mitchell seems to have dealt with the issues that caused him the problems against Michael Katsidis. Sometimes you need a kick up the arse to put yourself right. He’ll have a lot to prove to himself and, when others are looking down on you, it spurs you to train harder.
    When he first joined the pros, Kevin was touted to be a big star but no one’s really seen the proper Kevin Mitchell yet. I see him putting Burns under a lot of pressure. He’s got good ability, good work rate and showed against John Murray that he can take a punch.
    I don’t think home advantage will have much affect. It didn’t when Mitchell beat John Murray. I don’t think Kevin stops him but he wins convincingly on points. Ricky’s got all the attributes but I think Kevin has more to prove.

Matthew Hatton (ex world light-middle challenger): It’s gonna be an absolute classic. I can’t wait. I think the styles will blend really well.
    Kevin’s a big talent and I’ve been so impressed with Ricky’s last few fights. He’s got a great attitude, is really dedicated and just keeps getting better every fight.
    It’s real 50-50 but, if you put a gun to my head, I edge to Burns on points in a real close one. I think he’ll have a slight edge in size - he looks like a light-welter - and that might be decisive.

Final number of picks : Burns 22 - 18 Mitchell

Comment

That was very gentlemanly......

Comment

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
        If Burns beats Mitchell like I think he will, he needs to step up against Abril.
        they're two very good boxers, and i like them both, but that fight would be a total eyesore, and unlikely to even get picked up by american TV

Comment

Originally posted by chrismart83 View Post

Ashley Theophane (London light-welter)
          : I’ve watched Kevin spar and he’s a top quality fighter but I have to go with Ricky Burns on points in a great fight because he’s more proven at world level. He’s also in his home town.
          Each fight he steps his level up a notch, gets better and better. He’s had far greater experience at the very top flight and he’s always come through those tough fights.

Scott Quigg (British superbantam champion)
          : Much as I’d like Kevin to win, I think Ricky Burns will be too big and will apply too much pressure, even though he’s viewed as a boxer-mover.
          I’ve always rated Kevin but Burns has improved so much, technically and confidence wise, since he beat Roman Martinez. Burns has also got the better engine and that’ll see him edge it over the late rounds. Burns on points in a good ‘un.

Jim Watt (ex world lightweight champion): A safe prediction is that it’ll be a good fight because both are always in good fights.
          No doubt Kevin will try and get close, turn it into more of a brawl but Ricky’s proved how tough he is, even in those fights he lost to Alex Arthur and Carl Johanneson. Over the years he’s really learned to utilise his physical advantages, that height and reach. I think he has the style to confuse and upset Kevin from long range. I go with Burns on points.

Kell Brook (world class welterweight): It’ll be a really good fight for the Scottish fans to enjoy.
          Ricky Burns has shown himself to be really consistent over his last few fights but if Kevin Mitchell turns up 100%, like he did against John Murray, I think he’ll beat Burns. He’s very exciting can really punch and is also a very good boxer when he chooses to be. I wouldn’t be completely surprised if Kevin stops him but it’ll more likely be a points job.

Steve Collins (ex world middle and super-middle champion): I like Ricky Burns on points or late stoppage in a very good fight. He’s been around longer, has more big fight experience and has been very impressive in his most recent fights. I don’t think Kevin Mitchell looks as strong as Ricky.

Paul Smith (Liverpool super-middle)
          : Tough one, mate. Two great lads and two very, very good fighters. I’m expecting a chess match rather than them going toe-to-toe. Kevin’s got a great jab, possibly the best of any British fighter active at the moment.
          Kevin’s obviously had some personal problems but hopefully they’re sorted. He seems rejuvenated of late. I think he’s probably got a bit more power and quality than anybody that Ricky Burns has fought before. He whacks really hard and Ricky’s been over a few times before.
          It’s going to be a close one but I sense Kevin will be a bit too strong and powerful. If he catches him with a clean shot he might even put him away.

Richie Woodhall (ex world super-middle champion): It’ll be a great fight between two of the very best in the division. Proper fighters. Too many others just avoid each other but these two both deserve respect for stepping up.
          Ricky Burns has improved out of recognition since first winning a world title and the Scottish crowd should help him no end. They could also make him tense.
          I’m going for Kevin Mitchell on points. I was so impressed with him against John Murray and I think he might want it a bit more.

Rendall Munroe (ex world superbantam challenger)
          : I think it’ll be a brilliant fight. Kevin’s aggression against Ricky’s smooth boxing.
          Kevin Mitchell seems to have dealt with the issues that caused him the problems against Michael Katsidis. Sometimes you need a kick up the arse to put yourself right. He’ll have a lot to prove to himself and, when others are looking down on you, it spurs you to train harder.
          When he first joined the pros, Kevin was touted to be a big star but no one’s really seen the proper Kevin Mitchell yet. I see him putting Burns under a lot of pressure. He’s got good ability, good work rate and showed against John Murray that he can take a punch.
          I don’t think home advantage will have much affect. It didn’t when Mitchell beat John Murray. I don’t think Kevin stops him but he wins convincingly on points. Ricky’s got all the attributes but I think Kevin has more to prove.

Matthew Hatton (ex world light-middle challenger): It’s gonna be an absolute classic. I can’t wait. I think the styles will blend really well.
          Kevin’s a big talent and I’ve been so impressed with Ricky’s last few fights. He’s got a great attitude, is really dedicated and just keeps getting better every fight.
          It’s real 50-50 but, if you put a gun to my head, I edge to Burns on points in a real close one. I think he’ll have a slight edge in size - he looks like a light-welter - and that might be decisive.

Final number of picks : Burns 22 - 18 Mitchell

the brits are all smart guys and good talkers. nice insight from the experts.

you'll show up ready to pound them and you'll end up having a cup of tea, if you aren't careful.

Comment

Theophane,Quigg and Hatton pretty much sum up my thoughts. Close fight but you have to go with the more consistent fighter. Burns by all accounts is grafter in the gym like Floyd and he thinks his hard work and dedication pre fight will make it easier on the night. Kev on the other hand seems to rely more on adrenalin and has offnights. He was blowing abit vs Murray but was fortunate that night that his opponent kept walking forward and didnt switch up tactics. Burns will be alot harder to nail clean. Cant wait

Comment

Originally posted by chav View Post
              This being all polite and respectful sucks. I know it's politically good for the sports image, but really, I want to see 2 guys that want nothing more then to beat the other man to within an inch of his life, a real grudge match, not this **** slobbering, back slapping nonsense
              How many times have boxers hated each other outside of the ring and the fights been a dud? Lots.

As long as there is a war inside the ring then I'm not bothered. And with these two boxers, you're guaranteed fireworks.

Comment

Same here mate. Iv'e got no problem with fighters respecting eachother before going into the ring and trying to knock eachother out.
                Real rivalry is great entertainment, but im not a big fan of empty trash-talk just for the sake of selling the fight.

Comment

I'm really on the fence with this one. Can see scenarios in which both win.

Not both at once though.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                    they're two very good boxers, and i like them both, but that fight would be a total eyesore, and unlikely to even get picked up by american TV
                    Put it on an undercard. Ward vs Dawson is gonna be an eyesore too but it's the best vs the best.

Comment

Originally posted by timbatron View Post
                      How many times have boxers hated each other outside of the ring and the fights been a dud? Lots.

As long as there is a war inside the ring then I'm not bothered. And with these two boxers, you're guaranteed fireworks.
                      was gonna say pretty much the same thing.

I remember Mitchell and Murray sitting beside each other on ringside before their fight, having a chat, going to war in the ring, then best mates again afterwards.

Comment

Working...
                      X