Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the Holyfield/Lewis draw atleast top 5 in the worst decisions all-time?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wild Blue Yonda View Post
    The worst Ive ever seen --- ever --- was Whitaker-Ramirez I.
    I was never so shocked to hear a decision as I was after that fight. Still the very worst I've ever seen. .

Comment

Axel Schultz losing to George Foreman in the 1990s was one that always stood out to me. Every time someone gets just raked by terribly scoring and/or officiating in Germany, I think about that one.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Blue Yonda View Post
        That's correct. I thought De La Hoya edged him out in a fight I don't have a problem seeing Whitaker as the winner. The scorecards reflected what everyone knew at the time --- De La Hoya was wanted, Whitaker was not. In a way it was a shame for the winner, because it fuelled cries of a robbery to a much greater extent than was deserved. Had De La Hoya narrowly won on the cards (as well he should have, the actual scoring was predictably atrocious), I suspect far fewer people would be up in arms over Whitaker losing what was, in actual fact, a very close fight.

It showed that a young Whitaker was a cut above your De La Hoya's, Trinidad's, Mosley's, & the rest of the coming generation.
        I thought Sweet Pea won but it was close. The wide margin on the cards did inflate the robbery balloon. Its the Golden Boy who had too many golden scorecards. It was Karma when Trinidad got the nod.

Comment

The worst decision I've seen was after the Reid vs Ottke shambles. It was as close as you can get to knowing a fight is crooked without seeing money changing hands.

Next was the first fight between Azumah Nelson and Jeff Fenech. Fenech clearly won the bout by a mile and yet it was called a draw. I'll never forget that fight because of the way Don King strutted around the ring with his trademark leer as the result was announced. You could almost see him calculating the money he would make out of the re-match.

Fenech was never the same after that fight.

Lewis vs Holyfield was a bad decision (made even worse by the fact that the judge who had Holyfield winning by a canter was British!) - but it wasn't as bad as the two above.

Comment

Originally posted by studentofthegam View Post
            I thought Sweet Pea won but it was close. The wide margin on the cards did inflate the robbery balloon. Its the Golden Boy who had too many golden scorecards. It was Karma when Trinidad got the nod.
            See, I know that's a popular view, but I'm not so sure I agree. Obviously, De La Hoya benefitted from favouritism through a few fights, as the cards for his battles with Whitaker, Quartey & the like suggest. It isn't unfair to say De La Hoya won those fights (I had him edging Whitaker & drawing with Quartey), but no way did he win so wide.

Still, I would contend De La Hoya only got one true gift in all his career --- Sturm. I feel he was actually truly robbed twice --- Trinidad, & the rematch with Mosley. As I see it, he was given one gift & robbed twice, making him much less fortuitous than he appears.

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboy
              What in your opinion did Lennox do in that 2nd fight to win?... it was the night he was supposed to shine like a star yet sadly it was the night he got exposed.. with Holyfield rocking & staggering him in the 7th round and winning the fight handily, the result was booed by the crowd.. after their first fight one judge (Eugenia Williams) was investigated, yet after the rematch ALL three judges should have been investigated.
              Please, for the love of God, tell me you aren't trying to argue the second fight was a bigger robbery than the first.

Comment

never claimed it was, yet at least we both agree that Holyfield won the second fight
                But yoiu did say that you scored both fights 7-5, which is absurd for the first fight.

Comment

Lewis had opportunities in that fight and failed to take them i had it 7-5 Lewis... Their rematch was just as diabolical in scoring as Holyfield regrouped and was the clear winner 7-5.. Reid vs Ottke was the worst decision i can recall.

Personally I'd never call 7-5 a clear win.

I think some of the worst decisions in pro boxing I can think of is already mentioned in this thread ie. Whitaker-Ramirez, Foreman-Schultz. Worthy of mention is also Spinks-Holmes II and Ali-Norton III.

Comment

Fight (I) 7-5 Lewis
                    Fight (2) 7-5 Holyfield

Nothing absurd about those scores, lets see your scores for those 2 fights.
                    Fight 1 - 10-2 Lewis (9-3 if I'm being generous)

Fight 2 - 7-5 Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
                      Fight 1 - 10-2 Lewis (9-3 if I'm being generous)

Fight 2 - 7-5 Lewis
                      Looks like the post you quoted was deleted. Hmmm..

Comment

Working...
                      X